Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which do you recommend Windows 98 or ME?

740 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Gary R 
#1 ·
I have Windows 98 currently installed in my system. I also have the installation CD for Windows ME. I have heard bad things about ME.

What do you all think?

#3 ·
OldMan38
Welcome to TSG!
Well you picked a good subject which I am sure will bring many thoughts as it has done in the past.
Here is my two cents and it has not changed from all the other times this questions been asked. I have both OS's on separate machines.
WinME offers two main advantages; 1) System restore which allows the user to easily create restore points before changes or back the system up to a stable time if something should occur by itself. System restore is not a panacea though , it will not handle all problems. I have had to resort to the Win98 scanreg /restore twice now in over a year.
2) WinMe offers SFP (system File Protect) which will automatically restore system files if they are changed for some reason.
The above two functions are great for the casual user or someone who does not want to bother to really learn how to maintain the system. For an individual who watches their system and knows when there is a problem they can always use the scanreg /restore feature if they catch the problem and cannot isolate it in 5 days. There is also SFC (system file checker that is available in Win98 that allows one to check and extract system files if necessary.
WinME carries allot of bulk since the help and support is woven into the OS functions and also the CAB files are automatically downloaded so SFP works. As far as stability I have found it very stable as I have found Win98SE.
Another note there are other differences but I feel they are not that significant.
Dave

#6 ·
Personal opinion would be to stay with win98, and as quoted from a previous reply... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

#8 ·
I have to put my handfull of change in.

Stay with windows 98. Anything winME has over Win98 is minor and can be produced in some way or better on win98.

There is no need to get WinME.

Even though I hate WinME ( I could write a book on why), it works awesome for a lot of people.

WinME (win98 third edition) is kind of like IE6. It works great for some, and others just end up having a horrible time getting it to work correctly.

If you do go with WinME, you will lose dos and may notice your computer is slower than before, but if you decide on winME, it would be wiser to do a fresh full install of it instead of an upgrade. (same goes for the IE6 too)

:rolleyes:

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it, just tweak it!!!!!"

#10 ·
When i got this new computer (1 Ghz. Athlon Thunderbird; 256 Mb RAM) about 3 months ago I had choice of SE, or ME to be set up on it and the Tech recommended using SE because, "It's a much more stable an operating platform", so I got 98SE (Ver. 4.10.2222A) with Internet Explorer 5.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.