Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I would like to get the very best (um within reason) CPU for my current system, but I have no idea about what that would be and the chaps I bought it all from seem a bit unhelpful.

Anyway I got these details from when I got the stuff a few years back:

"1 x MBB-P35655 Motherboard Bundle Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2048MB 667Mhz DDR2 Heatsink And Fan MSI Intel P35 Motherboard."

So, I suppose the question is, what is the best CPU I can get on my motherboard...an MSI Intel P35 (?).

Incidentally I already have 4gb of the best RAM I could get in this one.

I'll see how OpFlash2 looks on it end of September after the new CPU is in then consider a Gfx card upgrade too ; )

Many Thanks in advance.

Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!

I've got a...

NOV-88GTS3 Novatech GeForce 8800GTS 320MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (500MHz Core Clock) (1600MHz Memory Clock) (1200MHz Shader Clock).

My PC runs pretty well actually, doesn't really struggle with much - but then I'm using a stinking 17" CTR monitor so at the resolutions I play games at ETC (ie 1024x768) it's perhaps no wonder than I can run most games on high (Inc Crysis et al) but I'm planning to get a new sexy flat screen 23" HD blah blah jobby in a few weeks, this will of course lead to a big jump in screen res and so I suspect I might need a new Grfx card too.

I think I have a year old (approx) fairly decent 650w PSU.

Back to the current question: You assume correctly! a new CPU is the plan, I'm curious about what my options are. Is my motherboard so old and crappy that they just don't make CPU's for my MB anymore? Or can I still get pretty decent CPU's to give my PC a yank up a few levels?

Many Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I just wanted to avoid having to arse around with putting in a new board again - it was traumatic enough when I did it 2 years ago! but you may well be right...but that would take things up a lot in terms of price...on the other hand the CPu would come fit already...decisions...

Either way, I'll come back when I know more about my Mboard model.

Cheers,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh right, weird. I got it from Novatech.co.uk.

What I wanted to know was, would I be able to put a better CPU on it to give it a year or so more use. Are you saying that you don't think I can put another - better CPU on it?

Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
46,565 Posts
What I am saying is that you have a proprietary motherboard. It is built to hp's specs NOT standard atx specs. Whether you can upgrade or not is dependent on whether the bios supports whatever cpu you want to install. You need to check with hp on that.

My guess [and it is only a guess] is that you will be limited to whatever the fastest cpu that hp offered with that motherboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I can tell, that is a proprietary mb made for hp. Your chances of upgrading are pretty slim. You would need to check with hp to see what upgrades are possible. This is the only link I can find for that part #
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07557
Thanks for the link, I did a few googles myself before posting here when I found the model number. One thing that caught my eye was that the specs for that board say "Maximum approved processor - 2.53 GHz Intel Pentium 4" Well I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550. Is that fight? Is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 a Pentium 4? Either way, I have an E6550 which is 2.33 GHz. So perhaps room for improvement, but maybe it's better to just get a new Mboard and CPU bundle instead?

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I see. Ok. So I should contact HP.......or just get a new Mboard bundle...shucks. I think I'll pay a guy to install it for me this time. It was a nightmare last time. I was out of my depth. Still. That was 2yrs ago and it's been fine since I got it all back together (though I never did get the front headphone and USB ports working!)

Thanks Chaps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

I have found that I have a P35 Neo.

Checked the MSI website and I think I can have up to something like Q9550 or something.

Is Quad generally better than Duo for gaming?

Cheers,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.