Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I run DriveIMageXML, it gives a message on startup saying that it could not activate Windows Volume Shadow Service (VSS).

It will still perform a successful backup but I want to fix this problem. After fixing all the things that might cause this, there is one item remaining that I could not solve. It says I must register a couple of files but I cannot get one to work and the file is not on my computer. It is also not on the Windows Install disk. The file is oleaut.dll. When googled, it appears that this file is needed for a number of things but I cannot find it nor does it appear that others can either.

Anyone here had and fixed this missing file?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply. I already have that one and cannot find a similar file name without the "32" in it. I am wondering if there is a typo in the error message so I am going to try it again to make sure that they are not refering to oleaucc.dll or some other file.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi,
Have you got the latest version of DriveIMageXML & downloaded any updates?
Are you up to date with all your windows updates? (including non important ones)
Are all your drivers up to date?
Is DriveIMageXML fully compatible with all your hardware?
Have you scanned your drive for any virus's or spyware?
Rob

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done all that.

The odd thing is that it did not give that message in the previous version.

The latest (2.02) version will still make successfull backups but anytime I see an error message, I get nervous about the performance of the program.

I have tested several backups that received this message and all worked as they should. I guess that I will give up on finding that file because I will probably upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been thinking that same thing after all the attempts to find this file. The program runs fine without it and I cannot find any errors in the backups but I feel that if some function of a program is faulty, it should be fixed.

They offer no tech support but I may send them an email anyway and see if I get a response.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I will try that. I probably won't hurt anything. It does not appear to be on the Windows install disk so I am wondering if such a file even exists and if it does, what would be its source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.