Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you plug in for example a digitalcamera or usb-memory stick in the computer, there should be an icon showing when it is safe to remove the camera or the memory stick. But I lost my icon! Anybody who knows how to get it back?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Try Start> Run> type: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll then hit OK.
This should bring up the dialog window to remove the hardware.
You can try this, I have used it in XP, but it has been quite a long time since I used Me.
Open My Computer and right-click on your drive choose Properties> Hardware tab> Properties button> Policies tab, click Optimize for Performance, click OK and Apply. Then reboot your computer and see the Safely Remove Hardware icon is in System Tray.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The first advice worked for me, but I would like not to have to write all that in "Run" every time. The second advice didn't work since I could not click "Optimize...". That alternative was grey-marked (although the alternative you suggest was already pre-choosed). Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to create a shortcut to bring up the dialog window.
Right click on your desktop and select New> Shortcut. When the Wizard
opens, paste the path: RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll in the box Type the location of the item:. Click on Next and type the name Safely Remove Hardware in the box, Type a name for this shortcut and click Finish.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try this: Control Panel>Taskbar and Start Menu. Under Taskbar tab check only "Lock the Taskbar," "Keep Taskbar on top..," and "Show the clock." <Apply> Log off/Log on. Not a reboot. Often works. Sometimes also helps to disable the UnPnP Service. (Universal Plug and Play-not regular Plug and Play) If no joy try: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm Fixes all this kind of stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.