Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. When I plug my USB flash drive into my computer, the computer shuts down and tries to boot off the USB flash drive. This is the first time I have tried to use the flash drive in my computer. I have a digital camera and that works fine with the computer's USB ports (doesn't shut it down) I also have a webcam and when I plug that into the USB port, the computer won't get past the startup screen without shutting down until I unplug it. Any ideas why this is happening? My computer is a Compaq Evo. I haven't done any mods to it either. Thanks if you reply.

EDIT: I tried the USB Flash Drive on another computer and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Try this:

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fix.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

·
Registered
361 Posts
An easier method to accomplish the same thing as above is...

1) Open the "Start" menu and choose "Run..."
2) Type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and click "ok".
3) At the cmd prompt, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (without the quotes) and press enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen--this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)
4) On the next cmd prompt line, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
5) In the Device Manager Console, from the "View" menu, select "Show Hidden Devices".

Then go delete the usb drivers

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
No, after the second reboot everything will be installed again and should be in working order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys but it still isn't working. When I tried the method that
Triple6 I get an error message that file has no program associated with it for performing this action. I also tried the other option listed, about the cmd, uninstalled the usbs, rebooted twice then plug the flash drive in it and restarted the computer. I tried my digital camera after that and it worked fine. Any other ideas? Thanks for your replies.

Code:
 BCCode : 1000007e     BCP1 : C0000005     BCP2 : F7A218E4     BCP3 : F7A217F0
BCP4 : F7A214EC     OSVer : 5_1_2600     SP : 2_0     Product : 768_1    

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9fcb.dir00\Mini031708-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9fcb.dir00\sysdata.xml
Thats the error message I receive when I click error report when I reboot my pc after plugging in the USB flash drive.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Have you checked the Compaq site for any BIOS updates that may address your problem?

If there are no BIOS updates that address the issue, since you most likely are not going to be booting from a USB device on a regular basis, why not just access BIOS, and in the boot sequence just disable booting from a USB device. If you later need to boot from a USB device, just access BIOS an enable boot from a USB device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.