Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have but one hard drive. 14.65gb. I have lots and lots of software/utilities, plus the MP3 collection has swelled to over 400 songs.

What I am used to is installing all of my applications under c:\program files\_____ and keeping all my docs/pics under c:\my docs, with a seperate folder for Music.

Do you recommend partitioning the HD - like maybe one just for program files? Or maybe since the music is a huge chunk maybe a partition just for music? Or putting everything else on another partition and leaving only windows & system & operating files on c:?

Does it slow the system down any if I start my music jukebox program from C: and the actual MP3 files are located on D:?

Do multiple partitions slow down XP?

What other methods of organization have worked for some of you?

I'm just thinking of a better way to organize my files. I thought maybe it would be good to leave only windows & sys files seperate in case I had to re-install the OS.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Good thinking. Partition actually can speed up XP. I partition my large drives into three partitions, OS, DATA, Backup/Music. I create my OS parition 4GB in size for Windows and application, which is generally enough space needed and it makes drive imaging (Ghost or DriveImage) work well. I also move my Windows cache and Internet cache folder to the Backup/Music partition. This also help makes the management of the OS partition better and faster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.