Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I tweaked the page size virtual memory my desktop HP has been acting strange. I would like to reset it to what it was before I screwed it up. Is that possible? I turned on the "let the computer decide" feature but I'm not so sure that's helping anything.

I have 1 gig of RAM, an 80 gig HD, and I'm running Win XP pro. The present paging file size is 1498 mb. The problem is, I constantly get "not responding" messages while the computer tries to catch up. The computer works fine for the most part. It's just that it has slowed down a lot and I think its because of the page file virtual memory thing. I don't know...maybe not. Appreciate suggestions.

Wes

·
Super Moderator
16,263 Posts
I don't think your pagefile size is causing the slowdowns.Your pagefile size now is very close to the way XP would set it at 1.5 x (the amount of Ram).

Please give as much detail as possible about the slowdowns you're getting, such as what you're doing when they happen, what is running on the PC at the time etc.

·
Trusted Advisor
86,014 Posts
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1013 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family, 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 120001 MB, Free - 23302 MB; D: Total - 4775 MB, Free - 2458 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D915GAG, AAC77881-306, BQAG54505594
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
That motherboard has 4 slots and supports up to 4 GB of DDR PC2700(DDR333) or DDR PC3200(DDR400) RAM.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915gag/sb/cs-027104.htm

It looks like you currently have 1 GB in it.

Why don't you add another 1 GB?

----------------------------------------------------------------

And keep the page file/virtual memory set on "System managed size".

----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear the page size is not unusual.

I'm inclined to think at least another gig of RAM may be the solution to the sporadic slow operation. Firefox, Thunderbird, and Open Office are the three programs that have the slowdown problem more than any others.

Thanks.

·
Trusted Advisor
86,014 Posts
You're welcome. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

Go here and allow the Crucial System Scanner to load and run.

(Note: Nothing is installed in your computer)

After the scan is finished and a report is displayed, copy-and-paste that webpage link here so I can go there and view the report.

----------------------------------------------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.