Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new hard drive for my computer and was wondering what brand is generally considered the best.

I currently have a maxtor and its already been replaced once so I'm skeptical to go with Maxtor again.

Basically I'm looking to get around a 120 or larger drive with either ata133 or 100. I don't want to get a sata drive and I'm not looking to go with a raid array.

Basically I just want to know what people recommend.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Seagate Barracudas are excellent drives.

As are Quantum Fireballs.

I wouldn't recommend Maxtor or Western Digital.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Actually Maxtor drives are excellent drives. The new larger capacity drives are all ata133, they are quiet, and they are usually dollar to Gig wise priced quite well.

As far as have one replaced, that could happen no matter what drive you have. The frequency of occurance is what you want to watch out for. I have heard more horror stories coming about Western Digital drives than any other. The warranty is another thing that you want to look at.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Seagate or Hitachi (IBM) are the best drives! I'm installing a Seagate 160 gig SATA hard drive as we speak :D

Seagate and Hitachi are also the fastest hard drives @ 8.5 and Seagate is also the quietest drive with their new FDB motor. The downside is that they only have 1 year warranty (which you probably won't use). I think Hitachi has 3 years. Either drive will make you happy ;)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
As you can see, what brand/model drive is BEST is very subjective. I've had great performance from both Maxtor and WD. I've had a Hitachi die 1 hour after install. Seagate is rated high, but they generally cost more and I've not tried one.

It's all according to each individuals experience. HDD's are THE weak link in computers simply because they are mechanical and thus more prone to failure. They are more susceptible to degradation from elevated temperature, therefore the cooling capacity of your case comes into play. Lots of variables, which translates to lots of opinions.

Most standard, off the shelf HDD's will do the job for you all things being equal in the installation.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Originally posted by raybro:
Seagate is rated high, but they generally cost more
99 bucks for a 160 gig SATA Seagate! CompUSA had them on sale for 89 bucks last week. If anything they are a bargain :D

Every Maxtor and WD drive I've ever owned died within a year. Even the Hitachi finally died last month, but because Hitachi has one of the best warranties they are now sending me a brand new drive this week, even though the one I sent them was 3 years old! Hitachi has great customer service!

Even if Maxtor and WD were good drives (which I don't think they are) I still wouldn't pay good money for one because they are the S L O W E S T drives on the market! :eek:

It all depends on what you are rating. The dependability... the value... the performance (speed)... Either way you can't go wrong with a Seagate :up:

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
I would hope IBM does have a good warranty with the problems they've had on the 60/70GXP drives: http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/6292

Truth is all drives are prone to failurer. I still have a 6.4GB Fujitsu running today while some brand new drives from all manufacturers have died in less then a week that were sold with new computers. There will always be a faulty part in a batch of just about anything; but overall all the hard drive manufacturers make great products.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Wetchicken you say that Maxtor and WD drives are teh slowest drives on the market? Where pray tell are you getting your information. For IDE drives they are actually slower drives than teh Maxtor Drives. With average seek times the same if not slower than Maxtor and interface speed of ata100 campared to Maxtors ata133, I am wondering where you got that they are the fastest on the market. Also All new large capacity Maxtor drives use Fluid Dynamic Bearings as well. I have had nothing but good luck with maxtor drives. i had two drives die on me and they were both my own fault. yet Maxtor still replaced them under warranty.

by the way the seek times for the maxtors is 9.0ms. the seek times for the Seagates range from 9.0ms to 9.4 ms.

The SATA drive is .5ms faster than the Maxtor but as for it being a quieter and better drive I dont see it.

And yes, I have used Seagate drives before. My mother retired from Seagate several years ago. It was after talking to her about the manufacturing process, I had second thoughts about using them.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I just looked on CompUSA's site and the Seagate 160GB SATA drive is $169.00 But the Maxtor 160GB SATA drive is $133.00.

Did you actually buy one of these seagate drives when they had them at $89 or even $99 ? I would have bought several.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Originally posted by WarC:
Seagate Barracudas are excellent drives.

As are Quantum Fireballs.

I wouldn't recommend Maxtor or Western Digital.
Quantum is owned by Maxtor so their quality is the same. All "new" drives are less reliable than their older counterparts.

The only exception to this is Fujitsu who has the most reliable albeit slowest drives in the market. (they make both the most reliable and least reliable drives, stay away from their quick stuff and your fine)

Honestly I'm glad I have an old first gen Maxtor 60gb drive, 3yrs old and still chuggin.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Here are a couple of decent deals. I have owned 3 Western Digital drives and never had any problems with any of them. I also have owned Maxtor and Seagate drives and was happy with both of them too. I guess I have had good luck with all drives no matter what the brand. Don't foret about BIOS limitations when buying your new drive. You may need a controller card if your BIOS/Motherboard do not support large drives.

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 7200 RPM (ATA-150) Hard Drive $116 w/ free 2nd day air

Maxtor 160 7200 RPM w/ free 2nd day shipping $114

Maxtor Diamond Max 9- 160GB 7200 RPM w/ free 2nd day shipping $108

Western Digital Caviar 160GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive Free 2nd Day $105

Rollin

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Originally posted by dustyjay:
Where pray tell are you getting your information
I get my information from the manufactures themselves :D

Click HERE and HERE to see Seagates specs. As you can PLAINLY see they are the fastest with 3.6 ms and most of their other (current) drives (read current) are 8.5! They have a few older generation that are 9.4, but I haven't seen them on the market lately.

Now lets look at the Maxtors...

Clickity - Click!

Oh me oh my... they range from (cough, cough) 9.4 to a whopping 12.6 ms :eek:

WD is no better...

Sorry, can't change the facts. Anyway, that's is where I get that they are the fastest. Thanks for asking :D

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
WOW!!! Talk about your validation of statement. All ya gotta do is read through this thread to see that everyone goes by their own experience.

Once again... mucho variables relative to HDD's.

Ain't debate a wonderful thing... :D

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Originally posted by bookime wood:
Somebody installing a segate sata? I read there was some trouble with them. Any glitches?
Actually funny that you ask that....

I installed a Seagate SATA 160 gig HD tonight, and yes, I did have a glitch, BUT IT WASN'T with the Seagate hard drive...

It was with the Maxtor SATA host card that I used :eek: :D

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
HERE'S a Seagate for 84 bucks (and free shipping)! The 160 gig model is around 20 bucks more... :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
For SATA drives I like the WD Raptor, after that I do like the Seagate, they are just a little louder. I have not used the Maxtors.

For IDE drives I do like the Seagates, after that they are about the same to me, I pick them up based on the deal I can find, as long as it 7200rpm, 8MB cache.

Now as far as SCSI drives I like Seagates also. I have had the best luck with them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.