Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running 2 GB on my P5N-E SLI Mobo, and I'm looking to upgrade within the next year.

I plan on getting a Quad processor, a new Video card and another 2 GB or RAM.

Now for my question:
Should I get a 8800GTS or 8800GT, and will it for sure work in my PCI express x16 even though they are express 2.0?
Should I get 2x2GB of new, better RAM (if you know of a brand or name; a link with the product would be great) or should I get another 2GB of my Corsair RAM, and plug them into the other slots?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm currently running 2 GB on my P5N-E SLI Mobo, and I'm looking to upgrade within the next year.

I plan on getting a Quad processor, a new Video card and another 2 GB or RAM.

Now for my question:
Should I get a 8800GTS or 8800GT, and will it for sure work in my PCI express x16 even though they are express 2.0?
Should I get 2x2GB of new, better RAM (if you know of a brand or name; a link with the product would be great) or should I get another 2GB of my Corsair RAM, and plug them into the other slots?

Thanks in advanced!
1 - The 8800 GT is the faster card, assuming they both have the same amount of memory on them. They will both be compatible with your motherboard.

2 - It's always a good idea to stick with the same brand, speed, timings when you add RAM. I'd recommend either upgrading to 4 GB of new RAM, or getting 2 more GB of matched RAM to your existing stuff. Mixing and matching has the tendency to create unstable systems.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I agree with Jones in saying that you should either get all new RAM or go with 2 more GB of the same stuff you have right now.

The 8800GTS is actually faster than the 8800GT, but only by a very small amount. Like 2 or 3 FPS small. Not worth the jump in price. Get the 8800GT, throw a little bit of an overclock on it and it will be better than the 8800GTS.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The 8800GTS is actually faster than the 8800GT, but only by a very small amount. Like 2 or 3 FPS small. Not worth the jump in price. Get the 8800GT, throw a little bit of an overclock on it and it will be better than the 8800GTS.
Sorry, that's right. I was looking at Tom's Hardware charts, and the 8800GT with 512mb of RAM is the OC version, which sports faster clock speeds than the standard 8800GT.

Still, dollar for dollar, the 8800 GT is the superior value. If money is no object, then find a GTX or Ultra and make your friends drool.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Don't ever get an 8800Ultra, the Radeon HD3870 X2 is just as fast/faster but costs only $450. There's a reason Newegg doesn't carry them anymore.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, my computer is officially a year and 2 months old today, and I've been having problems with Sins of a Solar Empire & Oblivion with my current ATI radeon x1950xt video card. Even with the latest drivers installed, every once in a while it'll close me out of the game and say there was an error. Getting "more recent drivers" will not help; I've gone down that road.

Besides that, my rig is still running great; playing sins, sup com CoH ect... all on max graphics with no slow downs.

I plan on upgrading within the next year or two, depending on how it runs some of the newest games (like spore) and as we switch over to DirectX10 games. Because of the problems said above, I'd probaly upgrade the video card sooner, and might as well do the RAM at the same time. After that, if need be, I'll get a quad-core processor.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be looking into RAM for the next few weeks, and I'll most likely end up getting the 8800GT because of your advice. Any other info on RAM that works on my Mobo is great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.