Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade the ram on my computer (to 2 gigs), but because I am running linux I can't go to the online shops and just run their little scan to tell me what I need. The machine is a Sony Vaio desktop with an AMD Athlon xp 1150 mhz processor, GE PRO-M2 motherboard running Ubuntu 8.10

Digging through the computer yesterday I found it supports:

Memory- 2 x DDR slots, DDR333/266/200 non-ECC, un-buffered memory - Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB

The motherboard manual states:

2 DDR DIMM slots: DDR DIMM1 and DDR DIMM2 support PC1600 (DDR200) / PC2100 (DDR266) / PC2700 (DDR333), Max. 2GB

Running sudo lshw in the command line shows the ram I have:

Memory Module Information
Socket Designation: DIMM1
Bank Connections: 6 11
Current Speed: Unknown
Type: DIMM SDRAM
Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
Error Status: OK
Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
Socket Designation: DIMM2
Bank Connections: 6 10
Current Speed: Unknown
Type: DIMM SDRAM
Installed Size: 256 MB (Double-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 256 MB (Double-bank Connection)
Error Status: OK

Hope that's not too much info. The question is just which ram would be the best? I know to upgrade to 2gigs I'll need to replace both sticks.

Thanks
mystmaiden

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Memory- 2 x DDR slots, DDR333/266/200 non-ECC, un-buffered memory

Any DDR 400 or less will work fine, as long as it meets those requirements.

Also you can buy from Crucial.com for you PC and its is guaranteed to work

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much!
I think where I got a little boggled was the difference in ddr sdram and the older sdram. Budget is an issue for me, so I may not be able to afford crucial. I'll definitely have a look though.

myst

·
Registered
7,800 Posts

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
]I want to upgrade the ram on my computer (to 2 gigs), but because I am running linux I can't go to the online shops and just run their little scan to tell me what I need. The machine is a Sony Vaio desktop with an AMD Athlon xp 1150 mhz processor, GE PRO-M2 motherboard running Ubuntu 8.10
I don't see any reason you can't do that as the online scanners scan hardware anyway but you can go the other way and go to www.crucial, kingston or Corsair.com and put in the make and model number of pc in their configurators and they will give you the right models that will work. Then you can buy those models in most cases at Newegg for less anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linux won't run an exe file, which the scanner seemed to be. I could try to run it under wine though.

The Pny ram from newegg has some bad reviews, alas, but I'll keep it in mind.

I appreciate all the input! Thank you
myst

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.