Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing sims 2 since the game first came out on my computer. It plays okay but a little slow at times. I would like to get a video card but I'm not sure which one will be compatable with mine. I have Sims 2, nightlife & open for business. I don't play any other games just Sims. I have the spec's on my computer and will list them. If you need any more info tell me and I will give them to you. I'm pretty sure I only have pci ports.

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2500 MHz (25 x 100)
Motherboard Name Asus P4G533-LA
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
System Memory 1015 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (05/06/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor NEC MultiSync M700 [17" CRT] (8Y01632UC)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(r) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller-24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3100011A (93 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive ATAPI DVDROM 16X (16x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW (48x/16x/48x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 90838 MB (70475 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4538 MB (720 MB free)
Total Size 93.1 GB (69.5 GB free)

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Are you sure it's only PCI? I would open the case and double check, because if you have an AGP slot, there are much more video card options available.

Either way, let us know what your budget is, because that will be the deciding factor. If you're only playing Sims 2, you probably won't need anything too fancy, I would get something like this, a Radeon 9250, if you only have PCI.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Make sure your new video card is compatible with the power supply (watts) of your computer. You can go to Crucial (website) and they will scan your comp and give you a list of upgrades that are compatible with your computer. The scan doesnt hurt it takes 10 seconds and it's a good reference to have.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
In that case, I would go with the Radeon 9250, it will be better than your current integrated video, and it's basically the best PCI video card you can get, as manufacturers have stopped making video cards for the PCI slot.

Make sure you download the latest drivers for whatever card you get, as the drivers bundled with the card will probably not be the latest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can I find out about the power supply (watts)? Where can I find that on my computer?
I went to the crucial website a week ago and it didn't give me any information at all about upgrades for my graphics card. It didn't even mention it so I emailed them and they said if I have pci slots only they can't help me. Thats why I came to techsupportguy. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
You have a 250w power supply, which, if you were running a high-end computer, would be a problem. For a PCI video card though, it's really not capable of sucking that much power, so don't worry about it, it should work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.