Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Antivir on my computer and my nephew(25 years old) said to switch over to AVG. I hate AVG and want my Antivir back, but I'm unsure if I should do that.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
34,806 Posts
AVG has had quite a few conflicting issues recently. After examining a lot of infected computers using AVG, I cannot say I'm impressed with AVG's detection rate...

Avira Antivir is the first free anitivirus program I always recommend. I never hear any complaints about it.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I stopped using AVG way back when they went from v7.5 to v8.0. Just wasn't the same. More complex, and just didn't like it. Then I ran Avast for a year or two and got tired of the annual license renewal routine. Now I'm using Avira and find it very effective, simple and a low resource user. It can run updates in the background while I'm online without slowing down what I'm doing and I'm on DIALUP :(

The only negative thing I found with Avira was they have a nag screen that pops up every time you run an update which prompts you buy the Pro version. Fortunately, that's easy to get rid of with a simple registry change as described here.

Just in case you do not know where to get Avira, you can download it free here.

Raybro

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I, and dozens of my friends, have been using AVG in all its forms for many years. None of us has ever been infected, and other issues have been minimal.

·
Gone but never forgotten
6,781 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I used to use AVG all the time before it went to 8.0. Almost immediately after updating to 8 I noticed a drop in system performance so I started looking at other options.

Currently I am using Comodo Internet Security (antivirus and firewall) and I haven't had any issues with it. The firewall can be annoying with lots of popups to allow/block programs and processes all the time but they become less as it gets setup on your system.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.