Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Totality?


It is the high resues of hazardous and potentially lethal chemicals inside your fat cells. It is you sitting inside and turning on the television or computer on a beautiful day. It is you shopping when you are depressed. It is the feeling you get that somthing is missing. It is your worries that fire may destroy all of your possessions and your plans to try and take them with you. It is the thought that tells you to go on a diet. It is the excess fat on your body. It is the headache that wont go away. It is the bleeding in your intestines from years of pain alleviating drug use. It is the birth defects of your children. It is your killer when you die from a car accident. It is your syndrome. It is your tumor. It is your expensive coffin and burial clothing. It is the drugs you take when you need an escape. It is the bulldozer that destroyed the woods you might have known so well. It is the towering skyscraper that makes you feel forever tiny and powerless. It is your boss. It is minimum wage, it is maximum wage.


It is your poison, sometimes with bars, sometimes without. It is all your fears. it is what is keeping you up at night. It is the lock on your door. It is the bullet in your gun. it is your noose and your tie. It is that thing that you dont want to do, but you feel you have to. It is the turned cheek. It is the cold shoulder. it is the ad that tells you the internet will proviede affection for you. It is the new appliance that you never knew existed, but you cant live without. It is poverty. It is inequality. It is the sink or swim economy. It is the thing that has categorized you. It has stopped you from doing the things you want. It is what makes you jealous. It is your hate. It is your love. It is your purgatives that you feel might be somewhat strange. It is your clenched fist. It is your mace spray.

It is the police. It is the nightstick. It is the protester and the media which tells you not to listen to them. It is the corporation which creates a new truth for you daily, one which provides you with the knowledge to buy what they make with confidence. It is the gold star you earned in kindergarten. It is the A you got in high school. It is your college degree. It is your paycheck. It is your therapist. It is your bill from the medicine you bought to "fix you brain". It is the ache in your back. it is your swollen knees. It is your worsening eyesight from the incandescent glow of our institutions. It is your hearing loss. It is "white nose" that drives you crazy. It is your adrenaline. It is the tears that pour down you face after a sad movie. It is your longing for a dramatic romance with a happy ending. It is your lust for sex. It is the objectified women, and the powerless man. It is the rapist. It is the murderer. It is the thief. It is the profiteer. It is the worker. It is the dead union organizer.


It is the solider that is willing to kill and die for cheaper oil. It is the victims of a government enflamed over unwillingness to follow their way of life. It is the activist hung for saying they dont want to be killed for profits. It is the rubber bullet. It is the pepper spray. It is the extinct species. It is the dyeing world. It is the polluted air. It is the tainted water. It is the accident at the nucleur power plant. it is the oil spill. It is the break in the pipeline. It is the brakes that failed. It is the dwindling bio deversity. It is the patented seed. It is the farmer killing her/himself with the pesticides that were going to make life better. It is the seat belt that mangled you, but didnt kill you entirely. It is the blood dripping from the cut you got at work, but cant afford to let it heal. It is the concrete beneath your feet. It is the stairs you fall down. It is the train that went off the tracks. It is the plane that blew up. It is the boat that sank. It is the drink you take to just forget it all. It is your misery. It is your world.

Its everything to you. it is civilized existence and the mindset which maintains it. Its what makes devastation seem not so shocking. It takes you through the day. It dulls you out at night. It gives you nightmares. It gives you dreams. It is your feeling of not having accomplished enough. It is the desire to have a child to complete yourself. It is the physical and mental barriers of civilized life. It is civilization and it has become you. It is a mindset. it is a power. it is physically reinforced to block off the reality of its powerlessness by mediating human existence from the natural world. It is the feeling of superiority, which supplies the reason to destroy all else. It is unnatural. It will fall, but will you fall with it? it is personal and it is individual. It is defeatable and its defeat is needed for our liberation, as wellas for that of all else that human kind has set out to conquer and overpower. Freedom is only a thought away. Liberate the mind and the body will follow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
Alex I certainly hope that you're changing the way your eyes look in your avatar, or I'm freaking out because your hypnotic power over me is growing :eek: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
Wet Chicken said:
Alex I certainly hope that you're changing the way your eyes look in your avatar, or I'm freaking out because your hypnotic power over me is growing :eek: :D
:D <moves hand across WC's field of vision>
"You want to give me your wallet."

Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
Wow that's weird... all of a sudden I have this urge to give you my wallet, and chickens don't even have wallets :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over 200 unique species go extinct every single day. This means that every night we go to sleep in a civilized world, 200 beautiful, unique, amazing forms of life are gone forever. With such-beauty at stake, how can we live with ourselves if we don't confront this madness?


DDT, one of the world's most deadly persitcides/poisions is present in every single living thing and body of water on earth, including the most remote parts of Antarctica.


200,000(1.5 every second) acres of rainforest is eradicated every day.

An average of 27 tons of waste is produced during the manufacture of one car.

28 million people in the united states are on anti-depressant medication.

25,000 people die of starvation every day.

In the year 2000, malignant tumors were responsible for 12 percent of the nearly 56 million deaths worldwide from all causes. In many countries, more than a quarter of deaths are attributable to cancer.

Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in America.

According to the World Health Organization, "450 million people worldwide are affected with mental, neurological or behavioral problems at any given time. These problems are expected to increase considerably in the years to come."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
Logain721 said:
28 million people in the united states are on anti-depressant medication.
I had no idea that mulder talked to that many people :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,427 Posts
Wet Chicken said:
I had no idea that mulder talked to that many people :eek:
Personally, I think Logain721 is a salesman for a pharmaceutical company selling anti-depressants and he's just posting here to bum us all out.

PS: If chickens don't have a wallet what do you carry your condom in? :D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Over 200 unique species go extinct every single day. This means that every night we go to sleep in a civilized world, 200 beautiful, unique, amazing forms of life are gone forever. With such-beauty at stake, how can we live with ourselves if we don't confront this madness?
How many went extinct before the influence of man?

Your question presumes that we have such a superiority to prevent it. Can you name the 200 that dissapeared yesterday? Of course not, because this is one of those "funny numbers", and the 200 were likely never known nor labelled, assuming there were 200 in the first place.

GB,

Thinkin you may be on to something. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ComputerFix said:
How many went extinct before the influence of man?

Your question presumes that we have such a superiority to prevent it. Can you name the 200 that dissapeared yesterday? Of course not, because this is one of those "funny numbers", and the 200 were likely never known nor labelled, assuming there were 200 in the first place.

GB,

Thinkin you may be on to something. ;)
-How many species went extinct before the influence of man?

This question is difficult sense I don’t know anyone who has done any research on this specific subject. I believe that the numbers where not as massive as they are today. You don’t understand the impact on all species when we expand our cities into there woodlands or destroy there rain forest? Every time we do this we change there environment, some can adapt others don’t do so fast enough.

-Can you name the 200 that disappeared yesterday?

Well no I can't, the majority of them 200 species that go extinct everyday as you said are not named, or labeled.

-assuming there were 200 in the first place.

200 is just a rough estimate, scientist in theory assume that it is anywhere from 100-300 species.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“Civilization” is a confusing word. Early European explorers often strongly associated what was “good” with civilization. Thus, when they encountered honest and generous non-civilized people, they would sometimes describe them as “more civilized” than Europeans. Today the idea of civilization is frequently associated with good wine, beautiful human creations and refine taste, but in reality the characteristics shared by all civilization are far less pleasant: domination, genocide and environmental devastation to name a few.

Another point of confusion is that many people conceive of “civilization” as a single entity developing through time. This conception has its source in the myth of progress through which modern western civilization, which now dominates the world, is justified and idealized. This myth assumes that humanity has developed along a single, fairly straight path that leads to where we are. In fact, civilization is traced back to the “Fertile Crescent” which is referred to as the “ Cradle of Civilization”. But Chinese, Japanese, Incan, Mayan and Aztec civilizations, to name a few, have no connection to this “Cradle”. The rise of western civilization itself has not been a smooth path. Rather it is the crossing, converging and separating of several paths, sometimes through trade, far more often through conflict. Thus there has been several civilizations throughout history. A convergence of a number of historical factors allowed European civilization to carry out a conquest that has now spread across the globe. But the idea of a single civilization that has developed along a single path is part of the ideology of Progress. And a revolutionary critique of civilization must be careful to avoid this trap, because it can easily lead to a perspective that is simply reversal of the concept of Progress, rather than a rejection of this myth.. Such a reversal can only lead to a call to return to an imagined beginning which is itself a myth. A revolutionary critique of civilization needs to reject the mystification inherent in the idea of progress, not create a counter-myth based on a moral judgment of progress.


Although the idea of a single civilization is false, there are some basic traits that all civilizations have shared. These can be considered as defining qualities of civilization. They can provide basic understanding that are useful in clarifying what a revolutionary critique of civilization might mean.

Civilization comes from a Latin word civis, which means city-dweller. Thus, civilization is a way of life based upon city dwelling - upon dwelling within areas of concentrated human population separated from the areas where this population gets its sustenance. A revolutionary critique of civilization would thus want to examine the social relationships that create and are created by cities.

But the existence of what appears to be a city is not enough, in itself, to define civilization. So let’s consider what happened when the first civilizations arose. It is generally agreed that first civilizations began to develop about eight to ten thousand years ago. But what actually began to develop? The evidence we have indicates that certain specializations began to crystallize into a number of intertwined social institutions: the state, property, the family, religion, law, work ( as an activity separated from life), etc. This process took place through the alienation of people’s capacity to create their own lives individually and collectively on their own terms. This alienated creativity crystallized as concentrated power and wealth centered in the institutions of society. Based on dispossession of the great majority, the institutions are representation of class relationships. With the rise of this institutional framework, society ceases to be a network of relationships between individuals for meeting there needs and desires and instead becomes a network of predetermined, institutionalized relationships that stands above people and into which they must fit. Thus, they no longer consciously develop techniques together for meeting there needs and desires. Instead technological systems are developed with the aim of reproducing the institutional social order, which itself a bureaucratic technology for mediating social relationships. The needs and desires of individuals are subordinated to this framework, and individuals themselves become cogs in the social machine. Their survival is made dependent upon this social machine locking them into an ongoing servitude that can only be broken through a radical rupture with the social order, a destructive overturning of existing social relationships, that opens the possibility for creating a new life together.

When I speak of civilization, I mean the network of institutions that dominates our lives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sometimes I have so much to say that I find it hard to say anything at all. When dealing with a topic like civilization, this is an important thing to recognize, because there are so many things to discuss that it becomes overwhelming. I’ve been doing a lot of personal exploration lately, trying to make an attempt to analyze all of the imbued conventions and thought patterns that the civilized mindset forces on us. This is just a short exploration on what civilization means to me and what it means to resist it.

The civilized mindset is something that is imbued in us from the minute we are born. None of us can escape it because it lives inside all of us. The best we can do is to challenge it at every juncture possible and explore what it means to have an alternative to it.

What does it mean for the psychological well-being of the humans caught in a downward spiral of their own making? What is the cost of living in an increasingly barren high-tech monoculture? The results are clear to see for anyone who takes the time to sit down and think about it- neurological disorders, millions of people sedated on anti-depressants just to get through the day, eating disorders, senseless violence, and increasing suicide rates. Anyone who can still manage to convince themselves of a coincidence between the aforementioned disease and our de-personalized, fast paced world is either naïve or just avoiding the problem. People are unraveling more and more everyday as their live force is eaten away by this monster.


Co modification is the driving force of our culture. Everything we experience is a result of co modification and cheapening of life into something that can be sold in the marketplace. We literally live in a world designed entirely by man ( or, more appropriately, men) and for man (men). Our existence and relationship to each other and the natural world has become so falsified that its no wonder people are literally going insane.


So, what does it mean to resist, and more importantly create an alternative to this death -race? In terms of personally confronting it, I think that it’s important for anyone concerned about it to do a lot of inner reflection and to realize just how much of a hold it has on us. All of our actions and a good portion of our thoughts are controlled by it, and the first thing to do is to reflect on that and try to identify it wherever we can. Every time someone finds themselves worrying about work or how much money they make, every time someone looks at themselves in a mirror and eels inadequate and allows outside standards to shape their own self-image, and every time someone sedates themselves to oblivion to escape it, it perpetuates itself. All of these thoughts are products of the hijacking of our minds and the usurping of our desires by civilization. Creating an alternative to this madness would mean to reject everything it has taught us, and explore ourselves what life is really about.

The destruction of civilization would mean the destruction of personal barriers that we put in place to protect ourselves from feeling emotion, which opens many possibilities for being more open with each other as well as our surroundings. To be against civilization is to be for freedom, love, happiness, intimacy with nature, equality, openness and a world where every one is honored and respected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gbrumb said:
Personally, I think Logain721 is a salesman for a pharmaceutical company selling anti-depressants and he's just posting here to bum us all out.

PS: If chickens don't have a wallet what do you carry your condom in? :D ;)
Oh yes, I am trying to get some buyers for my new and improved Prozac, guaranteed to completely alter your perception of life, and make you believe that everything is perfect!

Can I get a, WOOT,WOOT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If civilization is the network of institutions that defines and dominates our lives, then on a theoretical level, a revolutionary critique of civilization is an examination of the nature of these institutions. It examines the state, the economy and the technological systems they develop to control our lives. It examines the increasing precariousness of our existence on all levels. It is a class analysis aimed at the destruction of this society, and so its basis is first and foremost our lives here and now in this world.

Unfortunately , much of what passes for a critique of civilization now days fails to be revolutionary, because it chooses a basis other than our own confrontation with the social reality that is stealing our lives and our own desire to take back, our lives. These other bases may seem to provide a model for a future non-civilized society or for current activity; or they may seem to provide a solid moral basis upon which to stand. But in either case, such bases cannot serve a revolutionary critique. Let’s look at some of these ideas.

From a revolutionary point of view, biocentrism is utterly useless. It is a moral perspective at its very root. It starts from life as an abstraction that stands above us which we are to serve. Although it is sometimes presented with a scientific basis ( in ecological biological), it is essentially a metaphysical/moral perspective. Biocentrism is always opposed to anthropocentrism, supposedly “human-centered” thinking. Anthropocentrism is really just another name for humanism. Humanism is the ideology that starts from an abstract conception of the human and places this above us as the idea we are to strive to attain. Its practice in the social realm is based on the concept of rights that society is to protect. In reality, biocentrism does not challenge humanism at its roots. It simply seeks to expand the moral values of humanism to include all life and not just the human. Life, not merely the human, is the ideal we are to uphold. In the social realm, biocentrism merely seeks the expansion of rights and protections to the non-human without challenging the roots of the social order. This is why so many deep ecologist spend much time working on litigation and legislation to protect this or that species or acreage of wilderness. This practice exposes the non-revolutionary nature of there perspective. In fact sense it rests in a representational practice (deep ecologist activists represent the earth and life in courts and legislatures), it is at root a political and reformist viewpoint. A revolutionary critique of civilization will refuse this ideology completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Logain721 said:
-How many species went extinct before the influence of man?

This question is difficult sense I don’t know anyone who has done any research on this specific subject. I believe that the numbers where not as massive as they are today. You don’t understand the impact on all species when we expand our cities into there woodlands or destroy there rain forest? Every time we do this we change there environment, some can adapt others don’t do so fast enough.
this was part of my point. No one has bothered to study, I believe because 1) it would be a massive udertaking, but more importantly 2) the possibility is that the environmentalists, those who toss the largest support to such studies, may not like the answer, for it will negate the rest of the paragraph you just wrote.

If a shark eats the last of a particular fish, no one bats an eye, or may even know. If a fisherman catches it and eats it, humanity is demonized. Either way, the fish is dead and there are no more, so why the difference? Humans are the only animal consumers that are chastised for eating.

I only present the possibility that, by design, not all creatures will last indefinitely like some would hope. Some quick math.... I have been alive for 28 years, or aprox 10,220 days (we won't get into leap years and such to keep it simple). At 200 per day, that means that just in my life, 2 million 44 thousand species have gone. How many are there to begin with? How many came about, if any? If a child born today lives to be 80, then nearly 6 million more will go by that child's death? It all gets quite incredible and hard to believe to say the least. Even if it is a "sliding scale", just in the past 2000 years, using 150/day as the mark, 109.5 million? One would think we were close to being the only ones left, but of course, we are not.

I live on a chunk of dirt once roamed by beasts that haven't existed in how long and humans had no part in the elimination. While I do not presume to understand the nature of nature, natural order seems to have kept the "plant breathing" in spite of everything thrown at it, and we don't compare to some of the past obstacles. :)

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying to toss the plastic bags into the local pond, but I don't particularly go with the "humans suck and we have destroyed everything" philosophy either.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
44,930 Posts
CF, thought you might be interested in this:

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/biodiversity.html

BIODIVERSITY AND EXTINCTION RATES

Many people worry that human activity is causing large scale extinctions of plant and animal life. Some claim that human caused extinctions are on a similar scale to those that occurred 65 million years ago at the boundary between the Cretaceous and Tertiary eras when most species perished including the dinosaurs.

This causes two distinct worries.

1. The loss of species will harm humans.

2. Quite apart from any harm to humans, there is a duty to prevent "ecocide". Different people evaluate this duty differently. Since the purpose of these pages is establish the sustainability of material progress, I'll take the view that although biodiversity is an important amenity, we are mainly concerned with the extent to which losses of diversity are a threat to human progress.

Here's Peter Raven of the Missouri Botanical Gardens and former Home Secretary of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) and former President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science - in short a member of the scientific establishment.

We are confronting an episode of species extinction greater than anything the world has experienced for the past 65 million years. Of all the global problems that confront us, this is the one that is moving the most rapidly and the one that will have the most serious consequences. And, unlike other global ecological problems, it is completely irreversible.

One of the claims of large extinction rates concerns insects in the Amazon, and it based on the fact that many species are being discovered with extremely small ranges - as small as a few acres. Therefore, it is inferred that (a) there are very many insect species in the Amazon and (b) that when a relatively small area is developed, or even logged, species disappear. I suppose both of these contentions are true.

It is then claimed from the geological record that the average life of an insect species is 10 million years, and therefore we are killing of insect species at thousands of times the natural rate of extinction. I don't buy this, because I doubt that species with extremely small ranges have such long lifetimes on the average. I haven't seen this argument elsewhere, so I don't know how well it will stand up. [I asked a very well-known biologist about this at a National Academy of Sciences dinner, and he said that the average life of limited range species was unknown. I'll not give his name, since I believe people should not be held responsible for what they say across the dinner table.]

Opinions differ on the actual rate of extinctions.

The book Extinction Rates edited by John Lawton and Robert May (Oxford University Press, 1995) contains chapters on the extinction rates of various animals and plants. However, it concerns mainly the extinction rates for known species, whereas the very high estimates of extinction rates are based on estimates about unnamed species. The number of unclassified species is estimated by measuring how many new species turn up when a new area is explored, e.g. the forest canopy of some limited region.

Sir (now Lord) Robert May, FRS, is the head of population biology at Oxford University and is (or was) Chief Scientific Adviser to the British Government.

Here's the first paragraph of the preface.

Hardly a day passes without one being told that tropical deforestation is extinguishing roughly one species every hour, or maybe even one every minute. Such guesstimates are based on approximate species-area relations, along with assessments of current rates of deforestation and guesses at the global total number of species (which range from 5 to 80 million or more.) While such figures arguably have a purpose in capturing public attention, there is a clear and increasing need for better estimates of impending rates of extinction, based on a keener understanding of extinction rates in the recent and far past, and on the underlying ecological and evolutionary causes.

The articles in the book are are:

1. Assessing extinction rates

2. Extinctions in the fossil record

3. Constancy and change of life in the sea

4. Insect faunas in ice age environments: why so little extinction?

5. Bird extinctions in the Central Pacific

6. Extinctions in Mediterranean areas.

7. Recent past and future extinctions in birds.

8. Rates and patterns of extinctions among British invertebrates.

9. Assessing the risk of plant extinctions due to pollinator and disperser failure.

10. Population dynamic principles.

11. Estimating extinctions from molecular phylogenies.

12. Biological models for monitoring species decline: the construction and use of databases.

13. Classification of threatened species and its role in conservation planning.

14. The scale of the human enterprise and biodiversity loss.

The last chapter is by Paul Ehrlich. It has his usual I = PAT.

A chapter I found particularly interesting is Chapter 6 on the extinction of plants in Mediterranean climates.

The author is Werner Greuter, Botanischer Garten und Botanisches Museum Berlin-Dahlem, Koenigin-Luise Strasse, 6-8, D-14191 Berlin Germany and is entitled "Extinctions in Mediterranean Areas". (I include the address in case anyone wishes to write for a reprint). Greuter is evidently as specialist in this matter, because he refers to several previous papers.

The total number of Mediterranean higher plants presumed to be extinct is thus 37, of which 35 were species and 2, subspecies. This compares to a total of about 23,300 Mediterranean plant species, or 29 000 taxa (species plus subspecies). The present Mediterranean extinction rate for vascular plants is therefore 0.15% at the species level, or a mere 0.13% of the taxa.

He remarks that Mediterranean regions including the Mediterranean, California, central Chile, the Cape of Good Hope region and south-western Australia `total some 70 000 species and represent a major part of the higher plant diversity of the world, exceeding the combined floras of tropical Africa and Asia'. The reason for the large number of species is that many have very small ranges and the diversity in any given area is not so large. He also writes that the extinction rates are lowest in those areas where humanity has been active longest, e.g. the Mediterranean itself. I suppose that almost all the species incompatible with humanity died off long ago.

Let me refer to the chapter "Species Loss Revisited" by Julian Simon and Aaron Wildavsky in The State of Humanity edited by Julian Simon. They document the way species loss has been exaggerated by alarmist writers. I'll quote extensively from this article when I get around to it.

2003 September: The Specter of Species Extinction Will Global Warming Decimate Earth's Biosphere? by Sherwood, Keith and Craig Idso presents evidence against the widely believed theory that increases in temperature and CO2 will lead to widespread species extinctions. They discuss many studies that suggest the opposite - that increased temperature and CO2 will benefit most species of plants and extend their range. They discuss many articles offered as evidence by two groups of extinction advocates and show that the articles themselves lead to a different conclusion.

One interesting fact in the article concerns the effect of an increase in temperature on the north-south range of a plant species, especially of trees. It turns out that the northern limit of a species is determined by temperature. As that limit is approached the rate of growth goes to zero. However, the rate of growth of a species does not decline as it approaches the southern limit of its range but remains stable or even increases. What determines a species's southern boundary is competition from other species that require high temperatures. For this reason the southern boundary of a species is likely to change slowly as its territory is gradually invaded by species liking warm temperature. The invasion is likely to begin in gaps caused by logging and various kinds of die-off.

Scientists who worry about extinctions often agree that the world will reach a new equilibrium as temperature increases - assuming it does. However, they worry that the rate of increase of temperature is unprecedented and that species, especially of plants, will migrate northward too slowly and become extinct. None of the articles I have seen expressing this worry mention the possibility of replanting areas further north of the main present range of a species. It should work, because it's just agriculture. Failing to mention replanting is an example of the widespread inhibition against mentioning positive human activity to arrange the planet to obviate harmful changes or to make the planet more suitable for humanity.

Why do people believe these things? Explanations are offered about how ideology affects science in Ideology and sustainability, especially the section on Environmentalist ideology.

SLOGAN: The world is humanity's garden, to be arranged to suit humanity [Of course, it suits humanity to keep some part of the world wild.]

OPPOSITE SLOGAN: The world is a wild place, and humanity is an unwelcome intruder.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
44,930 Posts
Logain721 said:
What is the Totality?

It is the high resues of hazardous and potentially lethal chemicals inside your fat cells. It is you sitting inside and turning on the television or computer on a beautiful day. It is you shopping when you are depressed. It is the feeling you get that somthing is missing. It is your worries that fire may destroy all of your possessions and your plans to try and take them with you. It is the thought that tells you to go on a diet. It is the excess fat on your body. It is the headache that wont go away. It is the bleeding in your intestines from years of pain alleviating drug use. It is the birth defects of your children. It is your killer when you die from a car accident. It is your syndrome. It is your tumor. It is your expensive coffin and burial clothing. It is the drugs you take when you need an escape. It is the bulldozer that destroyed the woods you might have known so well. It is the towering skyscraper that makes you feel forever tiny and powerless. It is your boss. It is minimum wage, it is maximum wage.

It is your poison, sometimes with bars, sometimes without. It is all your fears. it is what is keeping you up at night. It is the lock on your door. It is the bullet in your gun. it is your noose and your tie. It is that thing that you dont want to do, but you feel you have to. It is the turned cheek. It is the cold shoulder. it is the ad that tells you the internet will proviede affection for you. It is the new appliance that you never knew existed, but you cant live without. It is poverty. It is inequality. It is the sink or swim economy. It is the thing that has categorized you. It has stopped you from doing the things you want. It is what makes you jealous. It is your hate. It is your love. It is your purgatives that you feel might be somewhat strange. It is your clenched fist. It is your mace spray.

It is the police. It is the nightstick. It is the protester and the media which tells you not to listen to them. It is the corporation which creates a new truth for you daily, one which provides you with the knowledge to buy what they make with confidence. It is the gold star you earned in kindergarten. It is the A you got in high school. It is your college degree. It is your paycheck. It is your therapist. It is your bill from the medicine you bought to "fix you brain". It is the ache in your back. it is your swollen knees. It is your worsening eyesight from the incandescent glow of our institutions. It is your hearing loss. It is "white nose" that drives you crazy. It is your adrenaline. It is the tears that pour down you face after a sad movie. It is your longing for a dramatic romance with a happy ending. It is your lust for sex. It is the objectified women, and the powerless man. It is the rapist. It is the murderer. It is the thief. It is the profiteer. It is the worker. It is the dead union organizer.

It is the solider that is willing to kill and die for cheaper oil. It is the victims of a government enflamed over unwillingness to follow their way of life. It is the activist hung for saying they dont want to be killed for profits. It is the rubber bullet. It is the pepper spray. It is the extinct species. It is the dyeing world. It is the polluted air. It is the tainted water. It is the accident at the nucleur power plant. it is the oil spill. It is the break in the pipeline. It is the brakes that failed. It is the dwindling bio deversity. It is the patented seed. It is the farmer killing her/himself with the pesticides that were going to make life better. It is the seat belt that mangled you, but didnt kill you entirely. It is the blood dripping from the cut you got at work, but cant afford to let it heal. It is the concrete beneath your feet. It is the stairs you fall down. It is the train that went off the tracks. It is the plane that blew up. It is the boat that sank. It is the drink you take to just forget it all. It is your misery. It is your world.

Its everything to you. it is civilized existence and the mindset which maintains it. Its what makes devastation seem not so shocking. It takes you through the day. It dulls you out at night. It gives you nightmares. It gives you dreams. It is your feeling of not having accomplished enough. It is the desire to have a child to complete yourself. It is the physical and mental barriers of civilized life. It is civilization and it has become you. It is a mindset. it is a power. it is physically reinforced to block off the reality of its powerlessness by mediating human existence from the natural world. It is the feeling of superiority, which supplies the reason to destroy all else. It is unnatural. It will fall, but will you fall with it? it is personal and it is individual. It is defeatable and its defeat is needed for our liberation, as wellas for that of all else that human kind has set out to conquer and overpower. Freedom is only a thought away. Liberate the mind and the body will follow.
Oh, man............
Another literary work without an author or link.
Well. I know for sure you can't be both Zerzan and Tucker at the same time ;).......so you must be unaware of issues with plagiarism?
I 'know' this is probably unintentional, but please give linkage to the authors in the future so that we can better understand the presentations they make.

cashed link:
Link

Weather map for Yorktown shows it's in the upper 20's now with a chance of snow showers.
Thank you and have good morning. :)

smilin' Jack :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
44,930 Posts
Logain721 said:
“Civilization” is a confusing word. Early European explorers often strongly associated what was “good” with civilization. Thus, when they encountered honest and generous non-civilized people, they would sometimes describe them as “more civilized” than Europeans. Today the idea of civilization is frequently associated with good wine, beautiful human creations and refine taste, but in reality the characteristics shared by all civilization are far less pleasant: domination, genocide and environmental devastation to name a few.

..................................................................................................................................
edited for brevity ;)

When I speak of civilization, I mean the network of institutions that dominates our lives.
Well geezee pete, bud.
You didn't write this either :eek:

about 50 lines down the page:
Link

I am just shocked and appalled :eek:

Does Sasha know about this?
:D_:D

smilin' Jack :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not too bad, but the info comes from a zene that I was trying to post on this forum, which btw has anti copyright notes.

I don’t live in Yorktown :rolleyes: As you seemed to be insinuating. A google search is not enough to get my current residence. Although I’m not saying that I have never lived in Yorktown, Indiana, but I haven’t been their in a good 5 years.

Do some research on a Rainey Stanley, might be able to get my current address. Your very good at research techniques, Although I don’t understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Why don’t I just help you out a bit though, 3144 30th st S.D. Ca 92105.


Also something to think about, is my current IP my real IP?
:D

493-90-7459
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW some of the scenes specificaly state "Copy and Disribute Freely".

Others state:
"Anti-Copyright 2004"
"Every text, every picture, every sount that pleases you is yours.
Take it without asking permission and use it as you desire"


What do you think about that friend, really goes against your current mind-set?
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top