Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My impression is that its Spyware. Any ideas/opinions??

====
The firewall has blocked Internet access to ad.doubleclick.net (206.xx.xx.xx) (HTTP) from your computer [TCP Flags: S].

User: unknown
Program: Internet Explorer
Time: 11/1/01 6:46:06 PM

====
I don't know if the numbers after 206 are my system's or not, so I put x's in their place when posting.... I have "Allow Server?" in Internet Explorer turned off -- it has the red X's.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
very common spyware site

have you tried ad aware to keep your system clean from those sites?

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

clean up your system, then delete the reference in ZA 0 in th emeantime, yes it should be XX out for permissions

also: if you use IE 6 you can identify which sites NOT to accept cookies from, a bit of a pain initially but after a bit, all the spyware sites are excluded from your cookie list

couldn't believe the first time i ran ad aware clean, no references

btw - since IE 6, i can count on one hand the number if IE crashes and goofy things happening, much more stable version

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for info re this spy. Far as I know -- & admittedly, I'm not sure what to look for to find any other spies that might be on the HD -- this is only spy I've picked up on this comp....
I've looked at AdAware a few times, & considered getting it but what worries me is that even tho' it makes a Registery backup, the Reg is so darn touchy from what I hear, that I'm a bit worried about using it.
If someone offered me $100 if I could tell them the command to look at the Reg. he'd keep the money :) -- I have never looked at the Reg. in this comp, or the old 200MHz. Pentium-Pro I had previously.
Far as making Reg. backups and/or Restores, I'm essentially clueless as to how its done :eek: There was somthing I think re backing up / restoring the W98SE Registery on this website, but can't find thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.