Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealing with a Linksys router here - what is the EASIEST WAY to secure it?

WPA ? WEP ?

As we all know - all wireless routers have their foibles, what should I know about when
settting up a run-of-the mill Linksys router ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
On mine, I use WPA. If your NIC supports it, thats the way to go. I also do not broadcast the SSID. I am the only one that uses my wireless network though. You could also set up MAC filtering. You can make it so only the MAC address's that are on your allowed list can access your network. MAC address's can be spoofed, so this is not 100% secure, but with all three of these things in place you should be in pretty good shape.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
If you use WPA, use a long and random key, 20 characters at least with letters and numbers. WPA is quite secure in that scenario, though with short keys, it's vulnerable to attack.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Rod:Sorry I did not see you post.I picked something that I would remember,even at my advanced age.Whatever it is,copy down the encrypted code for future reference,in case you have to enter the encryted code on your wireless device to gain access to your router.
In my case,I just entered the passcode and it was encrypted by Linksys and the encrypted code was displayed for me.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
rodeognome said:
so what do you use - to generate the WPA key itself - a web-based generator?
My fingers. Here's a good one:

sx9dkeur3764dddkf73kdqop48s7s7snve0

Get the idea? ;) Just pound on the keyboard.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
message receieved - keyboard pounded - WPA code created!

BUT now I have another problem - when I plug in the wireless router I get the message
"there is an IP conflict with another computer on the network"

what could be causing this - there is only one ASDL modem connected up.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
First off, where do you see this message? I'm assuming on one of the attached computers. How about telling us about ALL the attached devices on the router, both wired and wireless. Somewhere, a device has an IP address assigned that conflicts with one being assigned by the DHCP server. This is usually because one or more devices have fixed IP addresses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.