Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Sbc/yahoo 2wire dsl. It seems that my download times are slower than when I just had a single dsl modem. It downloads on my xp computer at like 80 kb/second. I don't really know all the specifics.

I do know it is a 2wire 1800 hg router/modem, it is connected by ethernet cable, and the monitor says that the connection speed is 1536 kbps incoming and like 386 outgoing.

I just wondered if I have something wrong, it used to download at li ke 160kbps or higher.

Thanks for your help all.

zookian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have contacted sbc/yahoo. When I am priviledged enough to speak to someone that speaks and understands English enough to have a conversation it goes to the same steps every time.

I do believe that I am soon to return to the cable. And I swore I would never ever give our local monopoly my money again.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Zookian - it may be that your PC settings are not optimised for your new connection (diff connection types benefit from diff settings). In particular, the MTU and RWIN settings are most important and can make a real difference to connection speeds.

Check out http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks and use the Tweak Tester program at the bottom of that page. Once the test has run click the reports button, fill in the fields and the page will display suggestions for settings that can be tweaked based on your system. The site has lots of help files to explain the various settings and how to change them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.