Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the way, I love this forum. The people and everything are great. Anyway, what is a partition?

Don't know when, but I will be building my first computer, not for a little while yet, but I am just trying to learn as much as I can, plus I just want to learn things for the hell of it. I'm basically going through this forum picking out anything I don't understand.

Thx

·
Registered
397 Posts
A partition is a portion of one`s harddrive you seperate from the main operating system to : install a second OS , store certain files such as music , put a backup of your present OS into for storage ...etc.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
A partition is a section of the hard drive. All hard drives have to have at least one partition in order to install the operating system on it. If you want, you can just create one large partition that uses all the hard drive space. Many people choose to create several partitions as somefellow describes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Imagine a single partition drive is like a book-shelf with one compartment. With several partitions, you are creating several compartments so that you can better manage your files according to different categories. With the present trend of of hard disk having 40-60 gig for a home user, it makes sense to efficiently use up space. In my case I have 5 partitions. One each for windows operating system , application programs, music, photos, and playing games. When my system files got injected by virus or my files gets corrupted; all the contents in the 4 partitions are saved. What I need to do is only reformat the systems files in the C drive, do a clean install to my Windows and retrieve whatever programmes from the other partition. Besides this when you do deframantation, it is faster in different partitions. If you have ADSL broadband download DISKEEPER LITE from www.majorgeeks.com which is free. This programme really defrags very very fast. Hope my explaination helps.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Wheely,

Unfortunately, the previous definitions are all Partly right, and Partly wrong.

This is the type of question that you can root out easily yourself using Google, and I would think would give you a measure of satisfaction!

So, Google: Definition Partition

and check out the articles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.