Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you imagine if major league baseball in their wisdom decided it was in the best interests of the leagues to only let the Yanks and Sox only play once every year or two?

Well that is basically what the National Hockey League has done with their idiotic scheduling.

The league is led by a loser (Bettman) who knew nothing about hockey when he was plucked out of the NBA league offices. The league has over exapanded and in an effort to draw in new fans has trashed some of the oldest rivalries in all sports.

Last night the Red Wings played Montreal. The last time Montreal came to play in Detroit was 5 years ago. Similarly Toronto has been off the schedule. New starts from other Eastern teams have never played in Detroit.

What is it going to take to get Bettman fired and to wake up the NHL marketing idiots.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
79,313 Posts
weren't both of them part of the Original Six?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,816 Posts
Hockey will never make it big---I don't care how how they schedule it. It's not a TV sport. Of course, if you live in Canada its the national sport but in America, it runs a distance fifth to NASCAR, the NFL, MLB and the NBA. Its a great sport to watch in person but on the tube it's pedestrian---darn puck is too small to follow.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
79,313 Posts
it still ranks as numero uno in my book of spectator sports, either in person or on the tube.....I think they got the best athletes of any sport, and certainly the best hand/eye coordination.

maybe missing a few teeth and marbles between the ears, but great athletes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
linskyjack said:
Hockey will never make it big---I don't care how how they schedule it. It's not a TV sport. Of course, if you live in Canada its the national sport but in America, it runs a distance fifth to NASCAR, the NFL, MLB and the NBA. Its a great sport to watch in person but on the tube it's pedestrian---darn puck is too small to follow.
ROFL, typical ignorant American, you don't watch the puck! If you are watching hockey and following the puck, you're missing most of the game.

You don't need to see the puck, the guy with the puck skates differently, the guys without the puck shift into position depending on who has the puck, and where on the ice, once you know the game, you'll know where the puck is going before the player makes the pass. You'll see a player like Malkin, move without the puck into the perfect position without the other team picking up on it right away and then with a flick of the wrist Crosby has the puck on his stick...it wasn't really what Crosby did there...but how Malkin got into position.

I mean, seriously, if you're going to argue that Hockey isn't a TV sport, for the life of me I can't figure out how you can sit through an MLB game on TV.

-Watch pitcher rotate ball in hand, show stats
-Pan crowd
-Watch batter wiggle bat, show stats
-Show man leading off first
-Pan dugout, watch someone spit, someone else scratch, manager adjust cap
-Show pitch
-Follow the ball for 15 seconds
-Repeat steps 1-6 for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Riveting.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
valis said:
it still ranks as numero uno in my book of spectator sports, either in person or on the tube.....I think they got the best athletes of any sport, and certainly the best hand/eye coordination.

maybe missing a few teeth and marbles between the ears, but great athletes.
It is by far in my opinion the best sport to see in person. it does lose something on TV although Hi Def does help that some when you can get it.

I do not expect hockey to rival the other major sports in popularity but the NHL has grown twice a large as it needs to be and is driving away the old fans.

Eliminate helmets - wont be needed if fighting is allowed

Bring back fighting so the sticks are kept down and respect is restored

Adjust the current rules for clutching and grabbing a bit. they went overboard.

Put the orginal six back in their own division

Fire Bettman and get somebody with a brain to operate the league since clearly the oweners do not have a clue.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
79,313 Posts
wacor said:
It is by far in my opinion the best sport to see in person. it does lose something on TV although Hi Def does help that some when you can get it.

I do not expect hockey to rival the other major sports in popularity but the NHL has grown twice a large as it needs to be and is driving away the old fans.

Eliminate helmets - wont be needed if fighting is allowed

Bring back fighting so the sticks are kept down and respect is restored

Adjust the current rules for clutching and grabbing a bit. they went overboard.

Put the orginal six back in their own division

Fire Bettman and get somebody with a brain to operate the league since clearly the oweners do not have a clue.
I think one of the biggest problems in hockey is the mandatory face shields in junior hockey. That teaches teh up and comers not to keep the stick on the ice, and as a result, you see a lot of more of eye injuries do to sticks in the face......

I also agree with the fighting aspect; bring back the respect.

Keep helmets; anytime you get a piece of vulcanized rubber whizzing around at 90 mph you need something on your nugget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
Uh, no, keep helmets, they're more to protect from the puck, than a stick.

Fighting still exists, but they need to get rid of the instigator rule so players can help enforce the rules of the game....by breaking other rules :D

Absolutely they have gone overboard, instead of cracking down on actual hooking, it's as though they have made high sticking touching the player anywhere above the waist...and just called it hooking. It's OBSTRUCTION hooking you imbeciles...the key word being OBSTRUCTION!

I don't agree with putting the original six back in their own division, but I do think they went overboard having teams play EIGHT games against division rivals. That's 32 of 82 games against the same 4 teams...and if you are in a tough division, you get screwed year after year, while teams like Detroit, and Nashville get to coast playing teams like Columbus and St Louis and Chicago 8 times a year EACH :rolleyes:

I think it should be scaled back, so you play EVERY team each year at least once, AND if you had an away game last year, you have a home game this year. So the home crowd will see EVERY team at least once in two years.

As for firing Bettman...sadly, if they haven't done it yet...it ain't going to happen.

BRING BACK THE JETS :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,196 Posts
Gribble said:
ROFL, typical ignorant American
Careful there, Canuckaroo.

Gribby said:
but I do think they went overboard having teams play EIGHT games against division rivals.
Oh so THAT'S why it seems the Stars play the Kings every other game. :rolleyes:

Hockey has caught on in the US far more than anyone ever expected. It's way more interesting than NASCAR or MLB in my never-humble opinion. Know what's good for sleeping, though? Golf. On TV. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
DiSaidSo said:
Careful there, Canuckaroo.

Oh so THAT'S why it seems the Stars play the Kings every other game. :rolleyes:

Hockey has caught on in the US far more than anyone ever expected. It's way more interesting than NASCAR or MLB in my never-humble opinion. Know what's good for sleeping, though? Golf. On TV. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it.
See, but golf is more interesting on TV than MLB ... at least they don't film the guy while he walks the entire course, they move around and show shots all over the course...unlike baseball, which has more time spent between plays than any other sport on the face of the earth...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,816 Posts
Gibble said:
ROFL, typical ignorant American, you don't watch the puck! If you are watching hockey and following the puck, you're missing most of the game.

You don't need to see the puck, the guy with the puck skates differently, the guys without the puck shift into position depending on who has the puck, and where on the ice, once you know the game, you'll know where the puck is going before the player makes the pass. You'll see a player like Malkin, move without the puck into the perfect position without the other team picking up on it right away and then with a flick of the wrist Crosby has the puck on his stick...it wasn't really what Crosby did there...but how Malkin got into position.

I mean, seriously, if you're going to argue that Hockey isn't a TV sport, for the life of me I can't figure out how you can sit through an MLB game on TV.

-Watch pitcher rotate ball in hand, show stats
-Pan crowd
-Watch batter wiggle bat, show stats
-Show man leading off first
-Pan dugout, watch someone spit, someone else scratch, manager adjust cap
-Show pitch
-Follow the ball for 15 seconds
-Repeat steps 1-6 for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Riveting.
Ah, you see, an ignorant Canadian who doesn't even know his own game! (No wonder its not popular in any other place) The object of hockey--to put the puck in the net-----Thats like saying dont watch the baseball or don't watch the basketball. ---just get into the movement. If I want movement I go to the ballet. Once again, the numbers prove me right. Fact is, didn't the Fox network try putting some kind of video enhancement on the puck to improve the dismal ratings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Gibble said:
See, but golf is more interesting on TV than MLB ... at least they don't film the guy while he walks the entire course, they move around and show shots all over the course...unlike baseball, which has more time spent between plays than any other sport on the face of the earth...
I agree that hockey is the best spectator sport and if I still had 2 knees, I would like to play adult hockey with my brother. Excellent description of how to watch hockey!!

As to MLB, it is much better to play than to watch, although after being a pitcher (fast-pitch softball), it is much more interesting to watch the interaction of the pitcher and catcher as to the way to call a game. It is very suttle and not for the casual fan, but it can help a 1-0 game seem much more interesting. As to sleeping through golf, I think that it is because they whisper into the mic and put you to sleep in 3 minutes or less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
linskyjack said:
Ah, you see, an ignorant Canadian who doesn't even know his own game! (No wonder its not popular in any other place) The object of hockey--to put the puck in the net-----Thats like saying dont watch the baseball or don't watch the basketball. ---just get into the movement. If I want movement I go to the ballet. Once again, the numbers prove me right. Fact is, didn't the Fox network try putting some kind of video enhancement on the puck to improve the dismal ratings?
Oh...wow...someone needs to think.

Fox. American Company...has bad ratings IN THE STATES, and their "experiment" is an abysmal failure, because REAL fans of the game are annoyed by a glowing puck that changes colour based on it's speed :rolleyes: But, thanks for proving my point, that as the stereotypical ignorant american, you are too boneheaded to care to learn the game, and can't fathom, that unlike other sports, there's more than just watching the puck/ball/etc in hockey. Now if ballet was full contact, and had fist fights...I might watch it...or is your real problem with hockey the fact the players aren't wearing skin tight uniforms so you can check out there butts? (j/k on the last part)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
linskyjack said:
Hockey is a great SPECTATOR sport but horrible to watch on TV----that was my point. It is TV that grows a league---Again, my job as an educator, never ends.
See, I really don't get that...you complain the puck is to hard to see, yet if you see a game in person, the puck is even HARDER to see as you're rarely as close as the camera. Your argument doesn't hold water.

And unlike many other sports (football for example) the playing surface is relatively small, allowing for you to see more of the action at once in frame, as opposed to football which requires replays and commentators to point out things you simply don't catch on the camera while the play is happening...because the camera is following the ball.

Seriously...I don't understand how you can say it doesn't translate to TV well...ALL games are better live...but ... ridiculous.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
79,313 Posts
Gibble said:
Oh...wow...someone needs to think.

Fox. American Company...has bad ratings IN THE STATES, and their "experiment" is an abysmal failure, because REAL fans of the game are annoyed by a glowing puck that changes colour based on it's speed
.

I think you'll find ANY hockey fan, regardless of nationality, was glad when that died a quick and bloodless death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
valis said:
.

I think you'll find ANY hockey fan, regardless of nationality, was glad when that died a quick and bloodless death.
That's why I said "REAL" hockey fan, I didn't say Canadian :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
79,313 Posts
that had to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen in the world of sports. All time. They tried the same thing with baseball, but it lasted a weekend, if that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,087 Posts
For those that don't know what the "Fox Puck" is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax

It's the dumbest idea in sports. I mean it's a freaking black puck on white ice...how can you NOT see it? :confused:
 
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Top