Aside from 2 case fans, what is the best fan I can get for a
AMD TBird 1.3ghz cpu?
I'm told it heats up pretty easily so I just want to make sure I'm
prepared for it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
If you have two case fans and a cpu fan, you might be fine, but you never know with AMD, they tend to heat up alot. You can also put copper or aluminum cold plates of which I am told work well under the heat sink and fan. Try the three fans first and see how she runs, and if you get excessively hot temps, you can add a cold plate if you want, and you could also get a twin turbo fan drive (if you have a 5 1/2 bay open). Those work real well and move a lot of air, but they take up a whole expansion bay and add to the noise just a little. (I like as quite as possible) The 3 fans should be enough, but they also might not. (do you plan to overclock at all?) I have a P4 (which run a little cooler) and I only use one cpu fan, and hardly ever get temps over 50C, which isn't all that hot. For normal use, 3 fans should be plenty for your AMD, but keep in mind the cold plates and twin fan drive.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
If you aren’t going to overclock just get a Thermaltake Volcano Copper. Don’t get the high output model or the noise will drive you crazy. The regular copper model I think runs at 4500 RPM where the better one runs at 7000. The standard one is reasonably quiet and is quite adequate even for mild OC. The Volcano 6 Cu is the one you want – the 6 Cu+ has the high output fan.

See how much they would charge to put a dab of silver paste on it for you. I can’t remember where I got my Orb, but they did that for me without my even asking. It comes with paste, but not silver.

Thermaltake has great price/performance. I think you can get a 6 Cu for about $12 if you look around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.