Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the Sempron jumped in here suddenly without my noticing and I am seeing the term more as time passes.

What is the Sempron chip and how does it compare to Celeron, Duron, Athlon and Pentium?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
They're actually not that bad. The 32 bit versions run on the 333Mhz FSB and have 256KB of L2 Cache. You can also get then in the 64 bit version. Apparently they are very good overclockers and better then the Celerons. But yeah, they're not as good as the the regular Athlon XP or Athlon 64 or Pentium 4 of the same 'model' number.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
theyre actually very good, I have 2 set up 1 is used in a game pc, at least for socket A theyre not bad at all and cheap. My sons 2400+ with a 6800GT plays just about anything with effects turned up, for a budget system theyre great just bought a $45 A-Open mobo, $65 Spempon, $70 512 of PC2700, you cant get much better/cheaper. If your looking for A64 performance of course not, but your system wont set you back a grand or more either for what AMD is marketing them for they are great, almost a Barton at beer prices.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
The Duron was actually a decent chip for its time also. It was much on the order of Sempron, weaker than the Athlon but much better than a Celeron. At least I thought they were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.