Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using TaskZip, and am pretty pleased with it, but there are times when I wonder if there are better programs out there.

Preference is given to freeware or shareware.

It has to be able to run automatically.

Also, are there any nice batch file type programs that can automate some file moves and transfers? I can write a dos batch file, but that is a little outdated. :D Something windows based, perhaps?

· Super Moderator
65,965 Posts
i have a powertool which just copies files
synctoy

works great onto portable harddrive

anything else I want i often backup manually onto 2 DVD

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am liking the looks of the Cobain Backup. Thanks

I have an older copy of Norton Ghost that I use from time to time. Are you familiar with it? How does the Acronis compare in your opinion?

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
GHOST, and especially the older versions, has issues with some networks and USB drives. Acronis True Image will handle almost any combination of local, external, and network drives for backup and restore. As long as you have a separate disk that GHOST will access, it works fine for image backups, I used it for years.

· Gone but never forgotten
6,792 Posts
etaf: How do you do this: "anything else I want i often backup manually onto 2 DVD." I recently found that my "C" drive" is too large for one DVD, maybe even two. Some instructions would be greatly appreciated by this novice. Perhaps you know of a reference.

Thanks, {redoak}

· Super Moderator
65,965 Posts
i dont back up the system - just the data files
I make sure I keep everything in my documents and dont let applications use thier directory for my data files

I use outlook with Gmail - so I keep a backup on gmail of my emails.
I also copy the .pst file each week - thats the only file that I did not put into My Documents and left in the default outlook folder

Not a true backup methodology - but I have found it OK for things like digital Images, word documents, and email.

· Gone but never forgotten
6,792 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I do back up my entire system to a XHDD with "True Image," so I do have a backup. I was interested in trying same to DVD, but, as I said, the system files, plus programs, are to large for one.
{redoak}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.