Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up a family members computer tonight to verizon dsl. She ordered a wireless system so they shipped her a Westell Versilink Modem/Wireless Router. She did that because her nearest phone line is in the other room and they told her to go wireless. When I set in up, it shows to hard wire the ethernet cord from the modem to the computer and also hard wire the phone connection from the modem to a phone jack. If this is a wireless system, why is everything hard wired? Is the wireless capability for wireless routing only to other computers, etc...? I guess what I am asking is, is there a way to use this modem as a wireless modem to this computer?

Thanks much, Dean

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that the main Computer stays hard wired as you said, but then you can go wireless to any other computer in the house. I know I have the versaLink also and there is a lot of jacks in the back. Some type of wireless thingy goes in the back of the router, and then something would go on another desktop or Laptop in the house and you can get online with them. Don't know how but I think I understood what you were asking and gave you a McStupid answer!

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
You do not need to keep any computer connected by a network cable to the router. You only need a wired connection to configure it. The only things that connects to the router are the modem and the power cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.