Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got Cox high speed internet.

We're running a Microsoft router.

The modem goes into the router, which then runs to 3 seperate computers.

Whenever my computer is plugged into the router, it basically shuts down all the other connections and brings bandwith to an absolute minimum. So minimal that it might take 10 min to maybe get into hotmail.

I've tested all the wires, the router, and the modem. It works fine with the other 2 computers, but whenever mine is plugged in, it freaks out the whole thing and no one can get on the internet.

Ive contacted my ISP, and they said they're not blocking me or anything so it must be my computer.

Also, my Ethernet card is functional.

Any help?

Matt

·
Registered
453 Posts
What operating system is on your PC. You should check the TCP/IP settings for your network card. Your PC may have a static IP address assigned to it which is creating a duplicate IP address on the network.

In the meantime, if you don't know you to check the IP address, do this:

Shut down the modem, router, and all PCs. Wait a couple of minutes and turn on the modem. Wait a couple of minutes and turn on the router. Then...

Turn on your PC (only!) and make sure that it is the first to connect to the router. Test the performance of the connectivity. Now try the other PCs, one at at time.

If the problem is a duplicate address on your PC, the above will allow all the PCs to work until you fix the static address issue. If another one of the PCs has the static IP address (instead of your PC), you will get the same type of problem when this PC connects to the router.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
What kind of NIC is in the culprit PC? There have been some problems similar that occur with Bluetooth or combo wireless/wired NIC's. Once you plug these NIC's into your existing network they drop all connections on the other PC's connected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.