Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys hope you can help.

i have a current wc system that im goint to be upgrading next month and have a few questions,

u currently have...dual 120mmfan rad, 500liter/hour pump, 500cc resivoir.

im only cooling my cpu the now, an when i dismantle my system to clean it out, im going all out and installing a HDD water bay, " ram watercooling heat sinks, and 2 8600gts gfx card water blocks.

the question is will my pump cope with this.? and shall i buy another large external rad so the first rad can go to the gfx and ram, then to the 2nd rad - cpu and HDD.?

or anyother sugestions on what to cool first etc.?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Pump should cope fine with that. 500l/hour works to 8.3 l/min, and if you have a standardish system, you should be looking at about a litre in the works, even with the additions. This will give you at least 8 circuits/ min. total heat production to remove, for an 8600 is in the region of 30W, and the CPU, about 40W, top whack. That gives 140W to get rid of. Ballpark figures of course! And remeber this is not power consumption, but heat dissipation. So you have 140W in 8 cycles, or 17.5W/ cycle. With a dualfan rad, you have a 240 x 120 rad I assume, which should be good for a heat dissipation of around 50W, so there should be enough room there. I am aware this is very simplistic, and I havent bothered with a Joules calc, but the principles remain roughly equal.
I would sugest a second rad is a good idea, and that you set up as pump/ cpu/ rad/ gpu/ gpu/ rad to pump, to maximise the cooling effect to the GPUs.
If you are going for a new setup, I would recommend you look into a flowmeter, they dont cost much and indicate whether water is flowing round the system. If nothing else it gives an awful lot of peace of mind. you might also consider a heat sensor for the sytem, that monitors the water temp- these give a good ides of exactly how your cooling is working. I stuck one in mine, and its surprising how quickly the water temp can go up when you start loading the sytem!
Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks dude :)

yeah im going to be getting a flow metre.

what im thinking of doing is getting another pump and external rad, the pump and rad i have just now for the ( Pump=cpu=Ram=HDD=rad=pump)

the new single 120mm rad and 500l/hr pump (pump=gpu1-gpu2=rad=pump)

think that would work fine.?

and would my psu be ok to power it all.?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Well now... It will work perfectly. In fact, I can even show you a rig set for this setup that runs like a dream here

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/685085-rate-my-baby-gimme-hints.html

This is my baby, same case as yours, with the separate systems for GPUs and CPU. As for the PSU, the amount of power the pump takes is pretty much nothing, they are around 5-6 watts, so if your system runs fine now, the extra shouldnt make any difference. Any more q's, keep em coming, see if I can convert the whole world to W/C LOL :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.