Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum so if this is a silly question please forgive me. I work at a High school as a Tech coordinator, the problem that I'm having is students wasting printer paper. When a teacher logs in to there PC and leaves the room a student will sit at the PC and start print arbitrary things from the web.

I need some suggestions on how I can stop this from happening is it possible to implement a password on the print query. Meaning if a student hits print they will need a password to do so.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
Not a silly question at all. Paper waste is a huge issue in all schools without a policy in place to curb misuse.

In our schools, we have a lease agreement for our larger printers. The company provides answers to questions such as these as they arise that involve the printers. If the company doesn't have the answer(s), they go directly to the source that made the printers for us.

There is a way on our larger printers to have the teacher/staff member log in under their own name and a password in order to send print jobs. Each person is given an alloted amount of pages they are allowed to use for the entire year. We haven't started this as of yet, but intend to do so soon.

Staff members really have no idea on their paper usage individually. If you have no one policing you and it costs $0 to hit the send button, why would you know?

As for the individual desktop printers in the teacher's rooms, we haven't looked at that issue yet. In our building, we no longer will supply the cartridges to print in the room. Staff is asked to send print jobs to one of the larger printers in the staff rooms near their area of the building. Of course, most teachers like the convenience of a printer in their room and have been supplying the cartridges themselves.

As for a teacher leaving the room to begin with, that is a big no no at our buildings. I personally would not want to have anyone, student or otherwise, sit at my PC and visit sites that may be inappropriate while logged in under my name! You might suggest to the teachers who are having this issue to shut down their PC, if they leave the room for any reason no matter how briefly. A pain, but it will stop the problem until another way can be found.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I'm new to this forum so if this is a silly question please forgive me. I work at a High school as a Tech coordinator, the problem that I'm having is students wasting printer paper. When a teacher logs in to there PC and leaves the room a student will sit at the PC and start print arbitrary things from the web.

I need some suggestions on how I can stop this from happening is it possible to implement a password on the print query. Meaning if a student hits print they will need a password to do so.
Is (are) the student(s) authorized to touch the teacher's PC at all? Makes me wonder.
Give the user (teacher) account a password and shut it down when leaving the room.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

sgasysop, this is a double posting to your "printer security" post in misc. tech. It's not liked on here. Reporting this one so presumably your identical post in misc. tech will remain.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.