Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Finally took the step from just lurking, to becoming a member, so I hope you can help me out :)

About a week ago I booted my computer, and had no picture on the screen. Odd, so I fiddled a bit, changed the cable, turned off screen, reset to default settings etc. Nothing.

I could tell it was booting to windows - speakers and keyboard came one, and I could use keyboard shortcuts to shut it properly down again. Did so a few times, and finally cut the power, and cracked it open, to check on graphics card.

Nothing special there - wiring looked solid, no loose screws, no sparks flying...

When I hooked it up again, it booted fine. Picture on screen, all good.

I've since found that cutting the power for about 20 seconds, removing and replacing the screen cable, and then booting, will make it boot with picture on screen, som 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, it'll boot, make a beeeeep-beep-beep sound, that the manual says means something like graphics/video card error. Gee thanks.

What I've done so far:
Tried both ports on graphics card
Installed newest nvidia drivers
Rolled back the last 15 windows updates or so
Reduced color depth to 16 bit
Reloaded factory defaults in BIOS

A few points of note:
When booting succesfully, I often (not always) see "amd data change update new data to dmi", after verifying dmi pool.
I had an "SM bus" in Device Manager, with a question mark on it. Installed South Bridge, and now there's no "?", but it says "ATI SM Bus" and on Properties "No drivers are installed for this device."
When entering windows, there's a tray bar icon, red sphere with white X on it. Clicking it offers a prompt along the lines of "would you like windows adjust you color depth and resolution settings" Yes/no. Both anwsers seems to do nothing.

And so - to my question: how do I end this desert walk? Any input would be massively appreciated... having a lovely machine just sitting there being stubborn is plain wrong :/

Thomas

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Was the "no picture" scenario present from powering on, or did you still see the POST screen?
You would really want to test your graphics card in another computer (move the CX400 into it too, if it doesn't have a quality 400+W unit)
When you first installed Windows, did you install chipset drivers from Gigabyte site? I would tend to think that you need to reinstall Windows, and install those as the very first thing. Don't panic yet, it might get solved otherwise, but that's the most recommended procedure, installing chipset drivers as the first thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Q: Was the "no picture" scenario present from powering on?

A: Yes. When booting I either get post screen, and everything's fine, or I get nothing at all - screen just stays black. I don't even get the regular "Check cable signal" that I do when unplugging the screen.

I installed chipset drivers upon installing windows. Only thing I did NOT install was ATI South Bridge. I figured they were for ATI products... didn't know AMD bought ATI, so I might just need them. Damn.

I've later installed new motherboard drivers from here: http://tinyurl.com/kty3r3

If chipset drivers are to blame, why now? It's been running fine for 4 months.

Naturally, reinstalling windows isn't really a problem... just something I'd hate to do. I guess there aren't any easy fixes, huh?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Well it could simply be your graphics card going down. After four months the chipset drivers aren't that likely a fault, but they might've just recently... Oh, wait no. If you don't even see POST screen when the problem decides to pop up, drivers are not the cause. No way. Next step would really be testing in another computer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks :)

I'll see about taking the card to a shop to have them look at it - haven't got a spare PC at the moment.

I was wondering if the card might be dying on me, but it seemed unlikely, as it displays just wonderfully when it's working - not giving out, or losing the picture once it gets going. Still, you're probably right.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Another possibility would be the PCI-E 16x slot itself coming loose, or the connector corroding.
Going to a shop... I really don't know. I would avoid that until there's absolutely no other possibility, and even then...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I guess I'll take another look at the card and connector. Don't like the thought of turning in my machine either, but it might be necessary.

I just hope the supplier will cough up a new card if there really is something wrong with it.

Thanks for the support :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just in case anybody else runs into this problem, here's the solution.

I cannot guarantee it'll work, unless you first download drivers, and roll back updates and fret, and shake it, and restore defaults... but here's what worked for me:

1) Remove graphics card.
2) Reinsert graphics card.
3) Done.

Don't you just hate an easy solution...

Thanks for all the help guys :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.