Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my computer and want to wipeout all the info of mine. how do I go about doing that. can i take everything off and just have it back to the basic beginning?? with just xp and loaded programs that came with it:?? thank you all , you are always the BEST

· Gone but Never Forgotten
27,293 Posts
First Name -
Jim
Hello:

Did XP come with the computer? If so, do you have a full installation CD?

The best way to clean the drive is to run a wipe utility that overwrites the entire hard drive, then reinstall XP. One such utility, and one I have had sucess with, is Maxtor's PowerMax

· Gone but Never Forgotten
27,293 Posts
First Name -
Jim
Sorry mobo; I didn't see your post. You beat me by a minute; I guess you're a faster typer! :D

· Registered
2,984 Posts
If you got the Restore CD, then boot up with it in and it'll put it back to the factory "fresh" state. Clean as a whistle. :D

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will that wipe all my information off too??? I have my business records on it and have deleted them but history will be gone , right??? thanks to you.....:up:

· Registered
385 Posts
Windows OS CD if so you'll want to do a complete install and do it right by doing a format and then install and yes all old info will be wiped out.
Peter

· Registered
52,785 Posts
A format doesn't clean out everything. In fact, recent DOS releases have an "unformat" command. The drive needs to be overwritten or much personal info can be recovered by someone who is determined just by reading the drive byte by byte.

This multi-purpose DOS boot floppy image will zero your drive for you. It was intended for XP, but is a modified 9x boot disk that loads smartdrv.exe. It also contains aefdisk, xxcopy, delpart, and zerofill.

You can even start XP setup from it.

http://www.freepctech.com/files/wxpboot.exe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.