Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Im in dire need of some help here. I installed the Windows 7 RC about a month ago which just update the system and all seemed fine but gradually i have been having problems with it where the start menu shiows nothing unless i seach for an application and all of a sudden the network does not work as it cannot start some services to activate it so i thought i'd just go back to Vista untill the official version has came out and everything is running smooth.
So i rebooted the computer pressing F8 to use the Recovery option as stated on the Techguy website and it starts the W7 recovery and not the Vista recovery. Is there a way to get the original without the Disk as it looks like the backup i did my son has scratched the disks or is there a way to reburn the DVD's as the Dialog box still pops up when it feels like it but not all the time.

The laptop i have is an Advent 6552 btw forgot to mention that earlier in the message.

Cheers
Gav

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
You're probably out of luck. You can't make the CD's any more since the system is no longer the same one and by installing W7, you changed the MBR and lost all access to any recovery partition, if it existed. Your only good option is to buy CD's from the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. What do you find there? It would be great if you could show a screen shot of that whole window, but I think that you cannot attach until you've made more posts. For reference I've attached the most revealing part of mine.

Mine shows, from left to right, Vista, Windows 7, unallocated, Recovery. I don't know if I've destroyed my ability to get into my Recovery partition.

Attachments

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
For anyone who wants to give it a try, this boot CD will boot to any partition and bypass the MBR. Its menus are chaotic and confusing (at least to me), but you can find those options eventually. Many people here have managed to use it to boot the recovery partition when they had made changes that removed that ability.

SGD Boot Disk - This zip file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.