Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few good papers on vsync but must admit that I was pretty drowned and can't decide anything. My question is simple: should I turn vsync on or off?

My strategy so far is I just let it be, meaning if the game default for vsync is on/off it will stay that way. I know it isn't an intelligent way to deal with it but lacking some guidance I can't do much more.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your solution may apply to many games but probably not to "prince of Persia". I just installed this game and started to load it. But it refused to load. So I googled it and the suggested solution is to turn on "vsync", I tried and it works.

I don't know the reason behind it, but someone suggested that the game produces a lot of bloom ( may be he meant tears ? ) so turn vsync on it reduces it. So it seems I will have to deal withthe vsync on each game basis.

·
Registered
305 Posts
the suggested solution is to turn on "vsync", I tried and it works.
That's just a bug in the program...nothing really to do with vsync. You'll probably never run into a problem like that again. So don't worry about it on a game by game basis.

I prefer vsync on myself, it helps to prevent tears in the image on the screen - something I hate. But leroys1000 is right in that it can cause some delays if you system is running under strain.

Best advice is to try both on a game (one that doesn't crash running vsync off!), see if you notice the difference. If you don't, turn it off.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's just a bug in the program...nothing really to do with vsync
That's only an assumption on your part.

Best advice is to try both on a game (one that doesn't crash running vsync off!), see if you notice the difference. If you don't, turn it off.
But my question isn't about with vsync on/off the game will crash. Kindly read the post again carefully.

·
Registered
305 Posts
But my question isn't about with vsync on/off the game will crash.
I was answering this question you asked:
neofan3 said:
My question is simple: should I turn vsync on or off?
neofan3 said:
That's only an assumption on your part.
True, but it's based on:

1) never having a game crash due to vsync in the past 15 years.
2) being able to code the graphics system they use and knowing quite well what vsync does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.