Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite sure if I'm posting in the correct place for this questions, but.....here goes.

I have routing and remote access set up on my win2k server (win2k server). When I try to make a connection in my win2k workstation (win2k pro), it appears to want me to "dial in." I have braodband where I am at (the server is at a nother location). How do I set it up, so I can use my braodband connection rather than having to dial up, like it appears to want in the diaup and networkin area or win2k pro. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Let me clarify. You're running W2K Server on a remote network. Your W2K client machine is looking for a dial up when you're trying to connect the VPN. If that's correct, the first thing you have to do is go into your Internet properties and click on the connections tab. "Never dial a connection" should be checked.

Let me know if that helps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. At my office i have a "win2k server" server running. I want to beable to access files from that when I am at home. I gave myself access in users and groups to allow me to connect remotely.

Then I went home and tried to create the vpn access on my laptop (win2k pro). I went to network and dial up connections and created a VPN connection. Then when I click on that, it asks for my username and password. It also has a section for "logon domain". I put our domain in there, and I hit the connect button

It tried to login, but I get an error stating that my logon credentials have failed the remote network. I have tried my username and pass, and also the administrator username and pass. Any ideas why I'm "failing with the logon credentials"?

I don't really know what to configure on our server to allow me to do this, but in my rights and permissions area, I gave myself persmission to connect remotely. Is there a walk through I can read to walk me through setting up VPN on win2k server? I read some stuff from Microsoft, but it was a little vague and/or over my head. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Go into the properties of your VPN connection that you created. Under the Networking tab, it asks what kind of VPN. Make your selection there.

Also, you may want to check your "Routing and Remote Access" on the server, but it's starting to sound like it could definately be server related.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
in the properties it says "type of VPN server I'm calling". It was set to automatic. I just changed it to PPTP. I tried it, but it still said my credentials have failed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think this is what I already read through. I appreciate your time, and I'll look through it again. Myabe it will stick the second or third time...? Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.