Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I recently bought a new Motherboard and a new CPU for my PC (the old CPU broke down), and after putting everything in place I tried to start the computer and got the message that Vmm32.vxd was missing, and that I needed to reinstall Windows. I did that, and the same message occurred.

The problem seems to be, that when my computer reinstalled windows, it renamed the windows map "dir00007" for some reason. If I rename it back (using the DOS-prompt), it finds vmm32.vxd but not himem.sys and some other sys-files. Then I tried with the PATH-command, but it doesn´t help, and if I restart the computer it automatically sets PATH to look in DIR00007, which is no longer existent.

I can´t change anything in any file, because the EDIT-function doesn´t work (I can´t find it using DIR). What should I do?

The computer I´m sitting at right now, writing, is a Macintosh, so I´m unable to download anything to a floppy...

Help me, please!
//Karin

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hi,

My suggestion would be to download a copy of the Windows 98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com or a similar site, and to use it to boot to the DOS prompt(with CD-ROM support) and install a clean copy of Windows (whatever version you're using...95 I'm guessing?).

All of this hinges on you being able to use the computer of a friend/co-worker/relative, of course (in order to get the disk).

If you don't know anyone with a computer that you could borrow, try an internet cafe or your local library.

Good luck.

Columbo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.