Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've just setup Vista Ultimate. Now, while I still need IE7 for certain web apps I would prefer to have FireFox as my default browser.

FF keeps trying to make itself the default but Vista remains defaulted to IE7. This is very annoying when clicking on links in e-mail (Outlook).

Just to add a curve ball.. I remember FF was default at one stage and Vista was reporting it correctly as being so. This "IE7 only" state that Vista is in now must have only occured after something changed or as a result of some other piece of software installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Broni - Thanks but no luck. IE7 seems to have the lock on it somehow.

I've even tried changing the file associations of everything that IE7 was associated with (e.g. *.html) and they are still listed as being configured to use FF. But IE7 is the browser that gets launched.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
It seems to be a bug in Vista or Firefox. The only way I have found (- doen't take too long!) is to reinstall Firefox and, in the initial startup, make sure you have it configured as the Default browser (Last item in Tools - Options -Main)
At the same time, in IE, inTools -Internet Options - Programs, untick the box to ask you..etc..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to be a bug in Vista or Firefox. The only way I have found (- doen't take too long!) is to reinstall Firefox and, in the initial startup, make sure you have it configured as the Default browser (Last item in Tools - Options -Main)
At the same time, in IE, inTools -Internet Options - Programs, untick the box to ask you..etc..
Thanks davehc.. this did the trick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks davehc.. this did the trick.
I just wanted to add that I am having the same issue in Vista Home Premium and the only thing I can think of that messed up the default browsers is that I installed FF 3 and then uninstalled it when some of the file buttons weren't working. (Just in case someone out there is reading this for help.)

I plan on trying the reinstall to get it squared away!

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.