Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just installed Vista on a test machine today and it looks nice. Vista has the new windows logo which is a circle. Is there a way for me to take that new logo and put it on my windows XP? Also, I will need to find the vista logo if this is possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,855 Posts
When you think of the TOYS that can be added to XP, including the SIDE-TOOL thingy, then is shows how sloppy (on purpose or accidental) vista really is. They spent all these years getting vista to this point - when a few kids on their own can do the same thing to XP that only eat a few more megabytes - not 11GB of HD space and 2 hours to install.


Thanks for the link MrBrown.

PS: Transparent LOOK as been around for YEARS on Amiga and Linux... without the overhead or requirements for HIGH_END video cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Compiler said:
When you think of the TOYS that can be added to XP, including the SIDE-TOOL thingy, then is shows how sloppy (on purpose or accidental) vista really is. They spent all these years getting vista to this point - when a few kids on their own can do the same thing to XP that only eat a few more megabytes - not 11GB of HD space and 2 hours to install.

Thanks for the link MrBrown.

PS: Transparent LOOK as been around for YEARS on Amiga and Linux... without the overhead or requirements for HIGH_END video cards.
That's just nonsense. To say that adding the sidebar and pearl button or whatever 'Toys' to XP makes the GUI equal to Vista is shallow. Vista has it's great share of issues that need to be worked out but make no mistake, Aero is a MAJOR gui upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,855 Posts
How so? It DOES nothing that APPLE's OS or Linux have been doing for years. Transparancy, animated windows - oh, we've been doing that with Amigas back in the early 90s.

Less than the time it would take to install vista (2hrs) - okay, took about 20mins, I was able to MOD XP to look and feel very much like vista. Give it a while and the TASK-Fliipper tool will be made for XP. And I've been using for years. the free M$ task-switcher tool which shows screen shots of the other application windows.

So in the GUI dept, vista doesn't nothing earth shattering that can't be done on WinXP, Amiga, Mac or Linux. I am aware that HOW vista displays graphics is completely different - but most of vista is wrapped up in DRM and TCP junk.

Howabout this... M$ offers vista without any DRM and it can't play movies. ;)
But a lot of what vista is designed for is to keep linux at bay with its hardware certification process.

PS: The thin buttons of vista blows... XP's are better. I've spent an hour playing with vista... er, uh - it like "who cares" - it does do anything great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Compiler said:
How so? It DOES nothing that APPLE's OS or Linux have been doing for years. Transparancy, animated windows - oh, we've been doing that with Amigas back in the early 90s.

Less than the time it would take to install vista (2hrs) - okay, took about 20mins, I was able to MOD XP to look and feel very much like vista. Give it a while and the TASK-Fliipper tool will be made for XP. And I've been using for years. the free M$ task-switcher tool which shows screen shots of the other application windows.

So in the GUI dept, vista doesn't nothing earth shattering that can't be done on WinXP, Amiga, Mac or Linux. I am aware that HOW vista displays graphics is completely different - but most of vista is wrapped up in DRM and TCP junk.

Howabout this... M$ offers vista without any DRM and it can't play movies. ;)
But a lot of what vista is designed for is to keep linux at bay with its hardware certification process.

PS: The thin buttons of vista blows... XP's are better. I've spent an hour playing with vista... er, uh - it like "who cares" - it does do anything great.
What other OS will be able to legally play encrypted HD video disks if they become available?

Glass is the first skin for Aero. With the underlaying strength of WPF and Aero developers will be able to develop truly astounding skins. As many people say Glass is just a pretty face. Vista needed a bit of sizzle to sell it so MS developed Glass. It is just a starting point.

If you spent an hour "playing" with Vista then you have barely scratched the surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,855 Posts
Most people are able to hit what "EXCITING" new features of vista in 20mins. Most features are turned on by default... Windows XP came with a WindowBlinds Theme changing system - yet after 5 years, the AVG user sticks with the original blue/green setup.

okay - we have the NEW LOOK - Which isn't really much different from what we use today. I have about 50 theme on my system, many better than vista. Side-bar Docking thingy - okay, That's been included with NeXT PCs which became built into MAC OS-X and such functions been available for years... so again, Nothing NEW. Oh, a CLOCK.. a weather ticker bar, etc etc... things we've always had in some form. Look more slick, yes. Okay, its more slick... done. Start button is now a LOGO that extends past the task bar.

Vista came out... nobody cared. We'll all be forced to use it sooner or later. Hopefully later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
The average user doesn't have the skill add all those things to xp. Ask you parents if they know how to skin their OS... You're joking right =p? They would try to stick a piece of toast in the drive and wonder why their computer doesn't work anymore.

Maybe Vista doesn't offer much to advanced users, but it's amazing to the average user. I think we haven't seen all Vista has to offer and Vista haters are jumping the gun on judging it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,855 Posts
Not much to like about vista.

1 - cost way too much
2 - DRM hell
3 - buggy
4 - don't work it hardware which it should - certification issues.
5 - Requires more resources (RAM / HD / TIME) than it should.

How to SKIN in XP - right click on DESKTOP / Properties / Appearence (but M$ was too stupid to add more skins by default).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Compiler said:
Not much to like about vista.

1 - cost way too much
2 - DRM hell
3 - buggy
4 - don't work it hardware which it should - certification issues.
5 - Requires more resources (RAM / HD / TIME) than it should.

How to SKIN in XP - right click on DESKTOP / Properties / Appearence (but M$ was too stupid to add more skins by default).
You're fighting an impossible to win fight here bud...and you're quite the pessimist. You've pointed out the obvious negs- bugs, drivers, certification issues. NO KIDDING. There was never an operating system that didn't have those problems when it was this new.

If you don't like it, don't use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,855 Posts
OKay... and the reason to jump on this new OS today?

When Apple went from OS9 > OS10(X) - it was radical. It was a big change from a task-switching OS to a true Multitasking OS.

XP was nothing more than a pretty version of Win2000 for the masses.
Vista is a re-coded GUI with DRM/TCP all over the place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mrbrown38 said:
True... But you did get the answer you needed, right?
No..I found a Vista Tranformation Pack on the link provided but didnt find what I was looking for. I installed the pack and it changed some of my themes but not what I wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Please keep in mind that the shell packs don't customize your computer to look like the latest Vista/Longhorn builds, so your computer might not look like the recent Vista screenshots.
Maybe try doing it step by step instead of the shell packs?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top