Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to reinstall vista on a dell inspiration 530. All is well but I am missing about 619 gb or hard drive. I have a 750 gb hard drive and even on installation, which goes well, i only see a partition of 131gb. Now how do i reclaim this missing capacity. Am i doing something wrong when installing or do i re-partition after rhe installtion is complete?

Since I only have a reinstall cd I am scared to really do anything that will erase the partition i am reinstalling to. I never get a choice or reformating anything. I do get a choice to install on this 619 gb partition but then i would have the same problem.

ttp:(

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I don't understand. In the first paragraph you mention a 131 GB (I assume you mean Giga Bytes, not Giga bits) partition and in the 2nd paragraph a 619 GB partition. That adds to 750 GB. So how is space missing?

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
if you are installing the "Original" release of Vista , it did NOT support super large partitions.
Once you install SP1 then, you will have the support and all of your drive should be visible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I said the hd has 750GB. However once I get Vista installed that partition only consumes 131 gb's. The other 750GB are unseen/unknown/can not be found! If I go back to the install process I get to a screen that says: Disk 0 Partition 1, 128GB and then a second choice of Disk 0 Unallocated Space, 570.6 GB! Now I am unsure of what to do? I think I can change the partition size on the the first partition and then format the partition that is left?

Right?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I think that you can expand the size of your current partition by using some or all the unallocated space. And/or you can create one or more partitions in the unallocated space.

But take note of what DaveA said. I know nothing about that, but it may explain your and my confusion about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

I guess I look for software that is IO "Intuitively Obvious". Even after I did the extend of the first partition I thought it was only going to take it up to 200GB. It said extend 69GB! But it extended it all the way to 750GB!

So now I have what I want and need!

Thanks for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.