Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP DV6700. Recently the screen says ' no operating system found on boot up' - bad times.

I went into bios and no hard drive was detected so I thought the HD was up the spout. Bought a ned HD and have a windows vista cd which is bootable but the cd wont boot on start up with the new hd in the laptop - thats my main problem i guess but, a few other things I can't get my head around:

- when I set the bios to boot from usb hard drive, it picked up my hard drive and tried to boot but when windows started loaded is all went a bit wrong (blue screen etc etc) - makes me think windows is corrupt but the hd works ? even though bios says the hd was detected when it was in the laptop?

- Why wont the cd boot? i tested the cd drive in another machine and its fine? We did notice the cd drive wasn't working (or working on this laptop at least) a few weeks earlier.

- I bought a hd caddy, put the old hd in it and i can recover all data i.e. it looks like an external drive when i go to my computer on another machine that i've plugged it into. Does this mean the hd is working fine?

big question then - can i fix vista somehow by plugging in my old hd to another laptop and running some sort of fix?

this prob sounds like gibberish but hopefully someone can help?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try unplugging the HD, put in the Vista disk, and when BIOS comes up, look for a command to manually boot. Usually the key is ESC or F11 or something. Select your DVD drive. If it boots into the windows installation fine, turn it off, plug in your HD again, boot from the DVD, and try installing Vista from there.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
There is an option to set boot order
there is also another key ....for a one time boot option
on mine its f12...i then select the dvd drive for this one time use.

Also unplg all usb devices when installing windows
i see where u stated you had set an option to boot usb hard drive.
you cant boot windows from an external.....linux yes..windows no.

So first find the one time key.
put in the windows dvd..and give it another try

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.