Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so for the ask few weeks I haven't been able to install any programs at all. Vista keeps telling me that the target shortcut is missing even though the program installed correctly. When I navigate to the program files and try to go into the folder, Vista tells me I need permission.

I spent 3 hours deleting a program manually be right clicking on each files and setting the permissions to me; I'm the only one who uses the computer and am a administrator. I do not want to go through this again.

What's wrong? Is there a setting out of place? I tried system restore but all that does is make even more program files lose my permissions. :mad:

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Uninstall those programs, them install them again using these instructions.

Compatibility Mode

Here is some good advice when installing programs in Vista, This is good advice even if the program was designed for Vista.

Here is how to install software or drivers on Vista that are for XP,2000,NT4,98,95

1. Download your program to a folder of choice, Right click on the setup.exe file for the software/driver you are trying to install and select properties, if there is an "Unblock" button on the General Tab, click it, then go to the compatibility Tab

2. Tick the "run this file in compatibility mode" box and then select XP, or whatever OS the software was designed for, in the drop down box, Tick "run as Administrator" if it is available, hit OK. If it was designed for Vista then skip compatibility and only use run as administrator.

3. Now double click this setup.exe file to execute the install process, hopefully all will go well and install the drivers/Software you need.

4. If the exe installs software for the device, or you have installed software only, you need to navigate to the program folder where it installed, then do the compatibility thing (1 & 2) again for the program executable(s). If the program was designed for Vista skip compatibility mode, just tick "run as administrator"

I do not guarantee all drivers or software to work in Vista, but a large percentage do..

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.