Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I have two folders in my Windows temp directory on Drive C that have strange names and won't let me delete them.

Upon clicking properties it says one is 288GB and the other is 35GB, I only have a 10GB HD, and individually deleting files just gives "Cannont delete ""file error 1026", when I attempt to delete the folder it says Filename ....whatever... is too long", when I open any subfiles and click properties they are gibberish and all are 0kb. When I click to open any of these files or folders I get error that the file is moved/deleted or not existant. Any clue?

Please help, is there a way to overide and force a deletion of these? Would rebooting from a recent back up be an option?

TIA

Dazzl

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for reply. When I do what you said, dos string hits c:blah blah "mouse.exe" and hangs, never completes boot up.

Any ideas. It has never not started in Dos before. Any other way to get it to load in DOS?

Dazzl

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Instead of restarting in ms-dos mode -- either shutdown and restart, or just select "restart".

Press and hold the control key as soon as the system begins to reboot. You should get a boot menu with a command prompt option. Select that, at the c:\> prompt enter:

cd windows
smartdrv
deltree temp
exit

(make sure you are in the c:\windows\> directory when entering deltree temp).

If you have trouble getting to a boot menu -- with Windows loaded, go to start and run msconfig. Click on the "Advanced" tab when it opens and put a check in "enable startup menu". This will force the boot menu on restarting. You will have to run msconfig again afterwards to remove the check from "enable boot menu"

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I had that once. I right clicked and renamed the file with an 8 character file name, then was able to delete it.
Just a thought!
Del

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Another thought, delete them in safe mode. It should work there.

What virus do you have anyway?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
If you want to get your "Restart in MSDos" function to work, do this and then try it

Start>Find>Files, key in dosstart.bat and press enter. Once it's found, right click on it and rename it dostart.old

Now try your "Restart in MSDos Mode".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to get it to boot in DOS and your directions for deleting the temp file worked flawlessly.

I ran VirusScan on the entire directory and it did not find a virus, but it sure acted and looked like one. Maybe my DAT files are not the most current.

Really weird though!

Thank you everyone!

Dazzl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.