Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I've just installed a virtual machine (running XP Pro) onto my Vista machine. The Vista machine has a USB external hard drive attached. When trying to access the data on this hard drive from within the virtual machine (via the bridged network link between the virtual machine and the host) it is incredibly slow. I've tried moving the USB hard drive to another PC on the network (running XP Pro) and accessing it from the XP Pro virtual machine on the first PC, and this works fine. I'd be very grateful for any help or ideas!
Glen

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you tried using a different port? Could be a slow port.

maybe trying towing down some resources? disabling areo on vista maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The disk is in a USB2.0 port, and works fine when accessing it from the host OS. The host machine is a pretty powerful one - Intel CoreDuo E8600 3.33GHz with 8GB RAM (it's the 64-bit version of Vista) so I don't think it's a machine resource problem.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Have you tried VMware Player for the virtual controller? I had good luck setting up externals on Vista as shares through a virtual NIC, though sometimes the virtual NIC interferred with the real one and had to be disabled from time to time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.