Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having what seemed like the oh-so-common problem with the Sims 2 Pets expansion pack, my walls were red and flashy. Playable, but annoying. I sent EA an email, but they're useless. I poked around and learned that the problem was my video card/driver and that sometiems the problem could be solved by updating your driver.

Unfortunately for me, I have a Matrox driver that supports a dual-moniter set up. The driver I was running was capable of supporting 3D DirectX however the driver I upgraded to, without realizing it is unable to support 3D DirectX and Matrox offers no other drivers that are compatible with 3D DirectX. Now I can't access the game at all!

I was wondering if there is anyway to either a) uninstall the driver I have on now, to revert to the old driver, or b) if I could put a generic driver, possibly from Nvidia and run it with the Matrox video card?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Considering the fact that I'm a complete and total Sims addict who just serriously messed up her computer is there no one out there who knows if I can run a Matrox Video Card without a Matrox Driver?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that really sucks. Thankyou for the help, I wasn't aware. Unfortunately I cant replace the card because my dad needs it to run a Dual Interface Moniter System to work with CAD and Mircostation.

Would running a different driver help at all? Because due to the driver upgrade I made earlier now I can't even access the game at all.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Do you know the model of the Matrox card you have? If it worked before, then it seems weird that newer drivers would make it not work at all. You could also revert back to the old drivers you used, as long as everything else works, it should be fine.

And no, you can't install a generic video driver - but if you let us know the model number of your card, there might be different drivers available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Video Card is a Matrox Millenium G450 Dualhead Card for Widows 2000 Professional. The version I was running was 5.12.001.1820 However, they don't offer that version driver anymore. I'm calling Matrox right now to see if there is any other verison driver that is compatiable with 3D DirectX. But any help you could give me would be more than appreciated.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I forget if Windows 2000 has it, I know XP does, but have you tried rolling back the driver? Go to start-> Control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager, and doubleclick the matrox display adapter. Under the driver tab, there should be a button to roll back to the previous driver.

Did you try installing this driver? On the Matrox site, all the drivers say no Direct3D support except for that one, it might be worth a shot as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.