Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much when it comes to this, so bear with me.

On system requirments lab almost every game it says fail because of video card, it says I have Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller)

Now, I've asked some people and they said some stuff about slots etc. but I have no idea. I have around $150 willing to spend to get something that would work. But I want to make sure I can put it in my computer or whatever.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, first, you have to find out whether or not you have an AGP or PCI-e slot. That is, of course, if you even have any. We will need some specs on your computer first. What you can do, is open the side of your computer. You will be looking for a slot that has a divider in the towards the back side of it (Towards the back of your computer) or 2 dividers one on either end. If you are lucky, your mother board will say, "PCI EXPRESS", or "AGP", or anything along the lines of that.

The next thing you will have to worry about is the PSU or Power Supply Unit. Depending on the card, your PSU will have to have a certain amount of Watts. if your card requires 300 Watts, you will need atleast 300 watts, or preferably 350 watts or more. It is generally a good idea to have 50 more watts than required, but that isn't always really controllable.

Once you find out this info, we could help you choose a card, depending on what you want to do, and the available resources of your computer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could try downloading a program called : CPU-Z
this shows you exactly what's in you're pc
look through the tabs and you should find PCI-e X16 or AGP if you have AGP then you have an older system and are less fortunate seeing as there's lesser cards out there and they're higher priced than PCI-e if you have PCI-e and a slot open then i would look at the 7600GT this is a very good video card and plays all the latest games with ease.
but you're pc must be able to back that card up like poster #2 said the PSU must be sufficient and so must you're RAM and processor be.

Post you're pc specs if you can try CPU-Z

Oke once you got CPU-Z running look at the CPU tab , look down and you should see clock > Core speed > .... tell us you're core speed.

Next take a look at MAINBOARD tab then look down and it should say Graphic interface > here you will find out if you have PCI-e or AGP

Also take a look at MEMORY and state the General type and size.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This could mean that you have integrated graphics , are there slots open in you're pc for AGP or PCI-e ?

Look for a PCI-e X16

The smaller one's are PCI the bigger ones PCI-e if you have none of these you would probably have AGP or PCI

·
Registered
336 Posts
While you have the side of your PC open you should also check any labels on your PSU (The box in the back of your computer on the top, where the main plug goes.), and see the wattage of it.

If you are lucky, your computer's motherboard could have little labels describing slots PCI-e or AGP. So, look for the slots previously described, and check for those little labels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never opened it before, I unscrewed these 2 little black caps then tried to pull it off, it wouldn't even budge, is there something special you need to do? I don't see any screws on it. :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
is it a brand computer ? sometimes they have handles on the top like dells the handle is located on the top of the pc and you pull it back which opens the side up.
Or it could be that you have to push against the side backwards once the screws are out push against it and pull it towards the back and it should slide straight off !

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Please use the following precautions when working inside the computer.

*make sure the system is powered off and power is unplugged to the tower
*ground yourself on the frame of the tower before touching the insides of your computer

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Sounds like a typical Dell system with that chipset. King56 - if you have a DELL - you can go to the dell website and type in your service code and it will tell you about your computer (and you can give us the link)...

But like 90% of all Dell systems that are not modern with PCIe slots - it means you ONLY have PCI slots. Your graphic upgrade options are severely limited. They or any PC without AGP or PCIe are not very viable gaming systems.

If you have such a Dell (No agp/PCIe) the best you can hope for is a $50~60 Nvidia powered 5500 or 5200 video card. Nothing more will help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My DELL is over a year old now and has PCI-e.
so have all the Dells i have ever dealt with , he is not limited to the Nvidia 5' series
The ATI X1300 is the best PCI card out there. you can get it for $85 after rebate on newegg.com

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Is there a comparison chart out there of GF5200/5500 vs 1300? The limitation is on the PCI... since its so limited.

The 82865G Graphics Controller is well over a few years old. So, until PCIe came around - the typical Dell came without AGP.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you can try tomshardware.com they have VGA charts ; in other words comparisons BUT i doubt they have PCI comparisons, and the nvidia 5 series are outdated , the X1300 is better in my opinion i will do a little comparing myself for you and post it here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
oke found this on the X1300 PCI ;

The ATI Radeon X1300 GPU is manufactured in a 90nm process and packs 105 million transistors. It provides four pixel shaders, two vertex shaders, supports up to 128 simultaneous pixel threads, and runs at 450 MHz on this video card. The VisionTek Radeon X1300 PCI sports 256 MB of DDR2 memory running at 533 MHz on a 64-bit bus, a standard 15-pin VGA connector, a Dual-Link DVI-I connector, and the standard HDTV out connector. Clearly this is the slowest version of the ATI Radeon X1300 you can get. The 64-bit memory bus and reduction in pixel shader processors and vertex processors severely cripple the performance of this GPU.

Nvidia FX5200 ;

http://www.digital-daily.com/video/nvidia-nv34/

hope this helps.

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
looks like the 6200OC is slower than the X1300 though , the core and memory speed dont lie as high.
but then again nice find , i never knew there was a PCI 6' series out there!

·
Registered
787 Posts
yeah the core and clock speeds may be faster on the x1300 but the 1300 doesn't support shader model 3.0 and realistically the faster clock speeds are not going to make a difference because both cards are going to be bottle-necked by the S L O W PCI bus.

If you are going to be buying / building a new PC relatively soon I wouldn't even bother with upgrading the graphics in your current machine. If you are not then I would simply go with the card that costs less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.