Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 18 year old son and need to buy new computer. Are there any computers with shared video cards thet will give "acceptable" gaming performance. for example, many machines have

The ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics with up to 256MB shared video memory

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Short answer = no. Shared video is usually pretty crummy. Also referred to as 'onboard' video, it takes it's memory from the system RAM, therefore depleting the amount of RAM available for system tasks. Also, they tend to be very weak GPU's. Add-in graphics cards are always the better option.

Is this a desktop computer, or a laptop?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well, are you interested in building the machine yourself? If so, you can save alot of money, and get a much better machine. If you just want an out-of-the-box solution, Dell makes decent gaming desktop/laptop machines that have pretty good specs. Also, what is the budget for this? That will determine better than anything what you are able to get.

Bottom line: Desktops are far superior for gaming. Laptops offer portability and are good for basic computing/college apps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like to stay below $1000. Custom build seems expensive since would have to buy Windows. Kind of down on Dell since they don't give you the Microsoft disk (only their own recovery disk), have proprietary memory (did 4 years ago) which you can only buy from them, and incorrectly tell you you have to buy hard drives, etc. from them, which I found is not correct.

Any suggestions on video card and processor at this time?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying you DO want to select individual components to build your own?

Also, I take it you've decided to go with a desktop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.