Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading to an NVIDIA 6800 in a few days. While looking at various sites about cards I realized I might need a new PSU. So I opened my PC and got the specs..they are as follows.

Input: 100-120V~5A 200-240V~3A
50-60Hz

Output: +5v - / 12.0A -12v - / 0.5A
180w Max +12v / 10.0A + 3.3v/ 10.0A

Max Combined Power On +5v and +3.3v Output is 80w +5v and 3.3v

Many people have said I need to upgrade, while a few have said I am fine. I don't know much about this stuff and therefore I would love to hear any other interpretations of these specs.

Also my Power Supply isn't the normal looking unit. It is not a cube, it is long and goes down almost the whole bottom half of my computer. It is in the shape of a long, gray rectangle.

It looks as though there will be room for a new unit because there is this metal cage that sits on top of the current PSU that appears to be a good match for a normal, square power supply.

But I am not sure if I will be able to remove my PSU because there are no visible screws attaching it to the computer as far as I can tell.

So my questions are

1. Do I need a new Power Supply?

2. If I get a new one, will it fit?

3. Should I be able to remove the old one?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Bumping a thread a mere half hour after you posted it is a bit impatient, don't you think? Yes, you need a bigger powersupply, preferably 480W or more. The one you have looks to be about 250W.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah...I am just going to get a new PSU. But I am still worried that a normal power supply wont fit/work in my computer.

Does anyone know anything about these long rectangular PSU's?

·
Registered
231 Posts
wow...post some specs about your computer so the people may get some sort of grasp on what you're seeing with yours.

You don't happen to have a shuttle-x computer do you? (small, gamecube looking thing.)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Almost all PSU fit in any case. Unless you have what spoon_T_Rex is talking about (a small, portable computer). A new PSU might be a little longer, but it shouldn't be wider.

Just go to the site where you found a PSU. Look at the specs. If the specs don't list dimentions, try the manufacturer's site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a

Dell OPTIPLEX GX260
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 1.00GB of Ram
111GB of Memory

My current video card is a NVIDIA Quadro with AGP8X

and it is not a portable computer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
In that case, measure the PSU in the Dell. Then find PSUs that are the same width (motherboard to case side) and measure how long (front to back of case) you can go. You can't go wider because then the fan and power connector wouldn't got out the back of the PC, but you can go longer as long as you don't hit any optical drives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.