Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin, may I say that I'm completely useless at all tech-related things, and so would be incredibly grateful for any help that could be offered.

Okay, so I just got an Orange ICON 255 USB Modem, that's supposed to do 7.2mbps. Now I understand that it doesn't actually get that far... but I'm struggling to get higher than 20kbps, and my internet seems to cut out every five minutes. A google search takes like two minutes to load up, and I just know that that's not supposed to be the case. Torrents, for example, are maxing out at about 0.5kbps.

I can't help but think I may have installed it wrong, or something, because theres no way the speeds can actually be that low. Additionally, it seems to work fine on my dad's laptop, but not on mine.

I'm running Windows Vista. I've tried uninstalling it, reinstalling it, deleting the connection, renewing the connection, fiddling with connection details. Nothing. The internets so slow I even went to an internet cafe (there now) just so I could seek help. :rolleyes:

Any advice would be apprecciated, but bear in mind I'm not at the computer now, so it'd need to be simple.

Thank you so much in advance, anyone. This is frustrating me to death.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It would be really nice to know what ISP and level of service you have, since that will determine your speeds. Knowing what country you're in is also a huge help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for asking.

Erm, ISP is Orange UK, country is United Kingdom, and level of service is not something I understand. Did I mention I was useless? :p Sorry. It might be 7.2mbps, if that's the same thing.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I have to believe this is an ISP issue, did you call Orange and complain?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If your Dad does not use P2P programs "it seems to work fine on my dad's laptop" may be because his PC is much "cleaner" than yours. This may sound to you like a nasty comment just because I don't care for P2P, but that's only the non important part. There is also a lot of truth to my statement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.