Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have windowsXP-home. I have dial-up. My computer has been consistently slowing down. It starts out new like it is supposed to but as time goes on it gets slower and slower. If I take it to my son's who has Wi-Fi it works fast but as soon as I get back to dial-up it is slow. You can hear it grinding away trying to get moving. I even took it to a computer place and had them restore everything and it didn't help. They said it didn't act up for them. I switched from Explorer to Firefox and for awhile it was faster. But now it is getting slower again. Once in a while I will get the message that my virtual memory is low and it is adding to it. I have very little on my computer, my hard drive size says 37.2 GB and my free space is 27.0 GB. I have a few pictures but not alot. I only have 1 game added. I use Spybot and I recently got RegCure hoping that it would fix my registry if there was a problem there. It hasn't. I don't know what else to tell you that would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Welcome to TSG forums.
First of all, please uninstall the RegCure. Many of us here recommend NOT using a registry cleaner because of the grief they can cause. (you browse around here and you will see why.)
Next d/l and run www.ccleaner, but PLEASE disable the regedit before you use it.
This will clean up a lot of unused stuff on your computer, such as cookies,etc.
Dial up is slow, the shop you took it to probably has a broadband of some type and that may be why they had no problem.
I run my antivirus , anti spyware programs once a week, and CCleaner about every other week, unless I have been on line a lot, then weekly.
Also, after you run the above, click on My Comuter, right click on your C drive, select properties. click on tools tab, select defragment. This might take a few minutes but is very good to run. When you use your computer , stuff gets put onto the hard drive in many different places on it and the defrag component re-organizes stuff together so it doesn't take so long to open something up.
Hope this hasn't gone on too long for you.
post back and let us know how it goes.
vicks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am hesitate to uninstall RegCure since my computer was slow before I got it. That was the reason I purchased it. When you say to disable the regedit before I use the ccleaner, won't that be gone if I uninstall the RegCure? I'm freaking about removing something that didn't make my computer slow to begin with. I don't understand alot of this stuff. But it has been slow for long enough that I am desperate to find an answer. This was my last option before calling a computer fixing guy to come to my house and check it out. I'd rather do it myself if possible.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
The regedit I refer to is at the bottom of the list on the second tab of the Ccleaner program when it is open. The RegCure program you have is a registry cleaner.. Like I mentioned above, we don't recommend any registry cleaner..
If you choose to leave it on your machine, just be sure it doesn't run automatically and that you have to manually have to use it. It is your computer and you can do anything you want with it... these are just my suggestions.
There are several free security programs that one can use, (ie. anti virus, anti spyware, firewalls. etc) This type of stuff will help keep your computer clean and running smoothly.
If you want more infomation please feel free to ask us.
vicks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll get rid of the RegCure and try what you said. Thank you for your prompt answer. I'll get back to you with the results. I may need some help to get the anti-virus stuff I need if Spybot is not enough. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Here is a guideline for security programs.
Run only 1 each of:
anti Virus
Firewall.
more than that will cause conflict on your computer.
Multiple anti Spyware (ie. Spybot) are okay.

I personally use
Zone Alarm for firewall
AVG anti virus

Anti spyware programs:
MalwareBytes anti spyware
Superantispyware anti spyware
I run each of the above weekly.
Then every couple of weeks or so the Ccleaner, as I mentioned above.
I have never had a infection on any of our computers (knock on wood),
but have helped other folks clean up problems.
All the programs I mentioned above are free.
Vicks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vicks,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been away. I am going to download the AVG anti virus and the firewall you mentioned. I am still moving slow but hopefully the other things will do the trick. It seems like I have gobs of things running on start up. I checked once and it said 49 processes. I was afraid to stop them since I don't know what is needed. But I want to thank you for your info and time.

grannyofeight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.