Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm hoping one or more of you might be able to help with my father-in-law's Vista 64bit PC. I'm completely frustrated with this one and reformating is not an option, mostly because he won't let me.
This is a variety of issues, but they do seem connected, so I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out.
This one may not be connected, but it was the first sign of trouble for me. I first started having a problem when I couldn't download things with IE7. They would open the download prompt, download the data, but the file simply didn't exist anywhere on the computer.Seamonkey (Firefox) worked fine. I thought IE was damaged and I needed to upgrade to IE8 anyway so I upgraded, hoping it would fix it. No luck. We ended up tracing this to AVG8.
Fed up with AVG at this point. I removed it using the uninstall tool they provide and attempted to install Avast. I'd installed Avast on 3 other computers and it was known to be 64bit compatible, so I expected no problems. I was wrong. The program installed fine, but ashDisp wouldn't run on startup which left the computer unprotected since nothing else would run without it. Looking in Services found everything Avast related was disabled. I enabled them all, but still had no luck. Upon trying to start ashDisp manually, I discovered that it thought it had no registration key. However, going into the Simple UI showed the key that I had entered. Somehow, the key was not being communicated. Full uninstalls and reinstalls did not help and neither did a repair. I eventually found a work around for this by making ashDisp run as an admin which is annoying since it means I have to approve the file on startup everytime. The Avast forums tried and tried, but they couldn't figure out the problem. Since a test with eicar shows it works in this set up, I left it for the time being.
Later, I got a new mp3 player and tried to install iTunes. It installed fine again, but would not run. Trying to start iTunes told me Quicktime was not installed and starting Quicktime triggered a DEP BEX (Buffer Overflow) error. Uninstalling, reinstalling, and repairing did not work. I disabled DEP and now just get an APPCRASH when I try to start either one. Repairing still does nothing.
Finally, I'd gone to update Avast. I removed it with the provided tool and following their directions and then installed the new version. It installed and was already running with ashDisp as admin even though it wasn't supposed to and the file properties said it wasn't. Looking in the registry shows a RUNASADMIN string present. Deleting that makes it run normally, but I still have the same registration key as before. Checking the box to make it run as admin no longer does anything. I had to go and manually add the string again to get it to work again.
Running sfc comes up clean, so it doesn't seem like anything is broken. I'm completely at a loss
It's almost as if Windows isn't communicating with itself. It just doesn't seem like these are completely seperate issues, so I'd like some outside opinions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just because of the types of issues I'm having with multiple programs, I'm leaning towards it being Vista.
I'll give the repair a shot and see if there's any improvement. I know it fixed a lot of problems with my laptop after an update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.