Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a US Robotics V92 Modem and have call waiting and caller ID installed on my line but have been unsucessful in getting the
desired internet interuption to take incoming calls to work. My ISP provider (Bellsouth) have indicated they have V92 compatability. Neither BellSouth or US Robotics (unanswered e-mail) have been of any help.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
v.92 requires special software to work if i remember right(not just the modem driver). Did your modem come with it?

If not you will probably have to download it from usrobotics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, try going to US Robitics website and downloading that software, it's usually called Modem on Hold or MOH. If it's not there, you can try doing a generic google search for free Modem on Hold software.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I was guilty of ignoring the obvious. I have progressed
to the point that incoming calls are identified - but with the notification that the internet cannot be put on hold. The US Robotics guide indicates this is due to failure of ISP to support the function which Bell South denies and USR wants $$$ to answer technical question.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
couple of things to check.

1) from bell souths v.92 faq

How do I know if I am getting V.92 modulation?

Typically, you would find the V.92 modulation reported in the connect message from the dialer's modem log. Some modems may require adding extra settings to the dialer to see more than transmit and/or receive speeds.

Some of the V.92 external modems have a V.92 indicator on their front panel. Alternately, you can directly connect to your V.92 modem, using communication software such as HyperTerminal in order to issue diagnostic commands to determine your modem's modulation from the last connection.

Note: Currently, we are not supporting the PCM Upstream feature for V.92. We are only supporting Quick Connect, Modem On Hold and V.44.
do you get the v.92 report on your connect message? if not bell south may have a problem on their end. If you do, its prob on your end.

2) You have to be connecting at v.90 speeds(faster than 31,200)

3) You must have(again from bell souths website)
The V.92 Modem-on-Hold feature requires the following:
· Call-Waiting on the user's phone line.
· Caller ID on Call-Waiting may allow for display of caller's name and number.
· Modem-on-Hold application must be correctly installed and enabled on the user's computer as specified by the modem manufacturer.
· A V.90 connection (connection speeds of at least 31,200 BPS) must be established for this feature to work.
other than that, its down to the MOH software package. Either it works with your modem chipset or it doesnt. If it doesnt, not much you can do except find a different version that does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this same problem a while back & someone helped me by telling me to put in an initialization string under the advanced tab in the control panel for the modem. The string is as follows: +PSS=0;+PCW=0;+PQC=0;+PMH=0
Don't ask me what it means--all I know is that it worked!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.