Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
've jst switched from a pc to a macbook pro. I was told that my NTFS formatted external hard drives would work with my mac but they are currently read only. is there anyway to make them read/write accessible???

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Congrats on the switch. :) Yes, true that NTFS is read-only for Mac. Yes, also true that it is possible to make the external HD read+write compatible... but, you will need to (a) save all of your goodies somewhere else safe, and then (b) reformat [ie: initializing] to a file system that is compatible with both Mac & PC [FAT32 or MS-DOS] or just Mac [HFS +]. Does your owners manual or web site for your particular brand External HD not mention this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MSM hobbes. i wondered if i would have to do that. I have my itunes library on my Windows formatted drive and i was copying it onto a new mac formated external drive when about a 3rd f the way through i got error message 36 saying the file being transferred couldn't be written to or read. So im a bit stumped now as to where i go from here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.