Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Using one computer as a network gateway.

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I have a desktop and a laptop. Currently, only the laptop has access to the net through wireless connection. Because my desktop can''t connect to the router through wi-fi for some strange reasons, there's no way I can get internet working on it. I don't have such a long CAT cable, either, so my laptop is the only thing I can rely on. Is it possible to connect the desktop to this laptop, and then be able to use internet with my desktop through the laptop? Is it possible to use a crossover cable for this? Are there other alternatives other than that?

#2 ·
You can use ICS on the laptop and connect them using a crossover cable. OTOH, if you have a wireless card in the desktop, I'd suggest we try to get that working, you'll be FAR happier with that option over ICS.

What is the make/model of the wireless adapter in the desktop, what version/patch level of Windows do you run, and what are the SPECIFIC indications when you attempt to connect to the router with the desktop?

#3 ·
I've tried connecting the desktop to my laptop with a LAN cable, but it still doesn't work. It seems like none of the computers even detects they have been plugged together, as IP Address remains the same (I think it begins with 64.xxx.xxx.xxx), and no data can be received. My desktop's network-card even gets a "Limited or no connectivity" message, while the laptop doesn't. Is there something that I've missed?

#5 ·
I still think that the right way to go is to determine what's wrong with the wireless connection on the desktop, rather than kludging them together with ICS! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.