Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I have an old computer that is missing two files, one is wininit.exe and i forgot the other. How would I go about formatting the hard drive and using this as a server for my laptop? If you have questions just ask me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1+2 WinME. I have that disk and the original Win98 disk. The Win98 disks don't work. Nor does the WinME one, well it won't recover the computer. It is missing vital files.
3. It would serve as a server to store files on, most likely a hard wire connection, for when I use the computer.
And 4. What exactly do you mean?

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
In order to have a file server, you need a network. My question is whether or not you currently have a network. Do you have a router? Do both computers have network adapters? Is everything connected?

I've never installed Windows ME, but I would assume you boot from the installation disk. If you're getting multiple errors with two different operating systems, I'd suspect hardware. That's even more likely if the computer is old.

I certainly wouldn't keep my only copy of anything important on old hardware (or really any hardware).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Well, I have a question, you know how Linux have sooo many diffrent builds for like the PowerPC etc? Well what would the CompaqPresario 7478 be concidered? I am trying to install that on the old computer, hopefully to get it kinda operational.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.