Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New build with a fresh install of Win11. I created an administrator account for myself. I then created a regular user account for my son and setup parental controls for the account. The issue I have is switching between accounts. I'll be logged in to install a program, for example. Afterwards, I log out (or click on my son's name within the start menu) and am presented with the blue screen to select a user to log in. If I select my son and then click the "sign in" link, nothing happens. I can click 100x and nothing. Single click, double click, nothing. What I have found that works is logging out of my account, attempt to log in to his account, log in to my account, log out of my account, and *THEN* I can click the sign on option and login. How can I properly switch accounts without needing to log out, log in, log out of my account?

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
How are you swithing to these accounts?

I have found that the BEST way is to LOG Out of current one and then Login to the other.

Beaware that "Switch User' does NOT always work 100% of the time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you swithing to these accounts?

I have found that the BEST way is to LOG Out of current one and then Login to the other.

Beaware that "Switch User' does NOT always work 100% of the time.
Even when I log out and log in as my son, I get same results. I have to log in to my account, log out again, then try his login a 2nd time.

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Have you shut down this machine and then started it back up since yoiu started having this issue?

If you had used the "Switch User" even once it just may have one account still the the switched mode.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have, but it's shut down right now and will confirm after work when I log in and try to switch users.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the steps taken this afternoon:
  1. Fresh boot
  2. My son attempted to log in (has a regular account, with parental restrictions on it)
    1. It would not recognize the clicks on "Sign in"
  3. I click on my name and log in
    1. after it successfully logs me in, I select "Log out"
  4. My son clicks on his name and it recognizes the clicks and allows him to log in
So, we took it even further. After he logged in successfully, we did the following:
  1. He selected "Log out"
  2. On the screen to select users, he chose his name
  3. Clicked on "Sign in" and it didn't recognize the clicks
  4. Selected my name and logged in
    1. After successfully logging in, I select "Log out"
  5. My son again clicks his and selects "Sign in" and it was successful.
Only after I log in and out does it recognize him to log in.

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
I have never used the parental set up, but it sounds like the Admin account must be run in order for the minor accoint to be logged in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never used the parental set up, but it sounds like the Admin account must be run in order for the minor accoint to be logged in.
Maybe? I only put a question mark because when I log in as administrator, I immediately log out, then he logs in. So, I mean my admin account isn't active when he logs in. Just weird.

Will try again today. 😊

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hoping someone else can help. If I'm not around to play around with my login my son can't get in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
When you 'setup parental controls for the account', did you set screen time limits?
The limit can be a time period, and logging in outside of that time period may not be possible.

Info on setting screen time limits here:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts